Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Shoalfinder, a note of appreciation for your respectful attitude. We can analyze the event dispassionately and try to learn; that seems appropriate. Some seem intent on placing "blame" - appreciate that you are not one of them. We spent 3 days on the ship volunteering with them for their education mission when they were in Annapolis, and met many of the crew and the skipper. He's one of the two missing.

I did read where the skipper is one of two missing. While tragic, I can't help but believe that were it anyone else missing the skipper could not live with himself. I know I couldn't and I believe mose of us feel similarly. Perhaps this indicates he was the last off the ship after making sure all souls had made it onto the lifeboats. Costa Concordia, take note...

As to the timing to take the ship out, my understaning is they were heading back here to St. Pete trying to make a November 9 deadline. For a ship of this speed, I have to believe they set sail long before anyone knew what track the storm was going to take. Working ships are on schedules, and while you make every effort to be safe you can't sit idle just because there is a storm in the Atlantic. The reality is that there was no reason to take this storm very seriously until it had gotten past Cuba. Then it merged with another storm, and by time all this had happened the Bounty was already put to sea.

There are endless opinions that will be shared, but there is only one captain and we have to believe he made all the best decisions he could until he ran out of options.
wingNwing, waterwks4me and steve77 like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

If this ship was in a state of ill repair, it was he captain's responsibility to refuse to risk the lives of others in such a vessel...period. Hope the next pilot that flies the 737 you're aboard refuses to fly it if he knows something is unsafe. If this thing was a rot-bucket, bringing trusting kids aboard was unconscionable.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-29-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-29-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

That's a very good point. If the crew were indeed kids then there's really no possible way to defend going to sea. From the reports I've read, it has not been mentioned that the crew were kids. I have read that this ship is often used for that, but my understanding is that this ship was just pulled from drydock for repairs. I was under the impression that a professional crew was bringing her to St. Pete

If this were professional crew, they could have refused to sail unless they were in agreement they had a sound plan. Professional crew aren't conscripts.

If these were kids, then I have to wonder why the parents allowed them to go. That's a very different scenario.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 10-29-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

A couple of other things to consider.

This boat was built as a movie prop. It is likely that the investors didn't build the boat to the same standards as a real sea-going ship...the original, even though is was built in another day, was likely more seaworthy. It was built in 1962 of wood, which also means that if it didn't get regular, expensive, and intensive upkeep, it was likely not all that seaworthy at this time vs. when it was newer.

If this boat was in CT/NY on Thursday, the storm was already on it's way. Given the storm size, which has been highly advertised, there was no way that the boat wasn't going to experience storm conditions, and possible hurricane conditions.

The boat had a lot of freeboard, and it is possible that while they may have intended to stay offshore of Cape Hatteras, the winds of the approaching hurricane would have been from east initially and they may have been gradually loosing ground from intended track due to excessive leeway, especially if engines weren't sufficiently powerful.

When you are in bad storms, because of way the waves and wind are attacking the vessel, it is often that you have to pick a course and speed other than intended to try to minimize the boat and crew from the pounding of the storm. Such change from intended course would be all the more important once the boat began to give evidence of taking on water.

90 miles off Cape Hatteras isn't that far off shore. Cape Hatteras isn't known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic for nothing.
Old 10-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
...For a ship of this speed, I have to believe they set sail long before anyone knew what track the storm was going to take.....
I think this is exactly the rub. If I'm not mistaken, they left CT last Thursday? It was absolutely clear that this storm was coming up to the Northeast by then. If anything, it was less clear exactly where along the coast it would land, making the decision to head out even more dangerous, as one wouldn't really know where to go to avoid it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's PM programme, Lt Kevin Sullivan, command centre chief for the North Carolina coastguard, said the crew were able to keep the ship afloat for most of the night before deciding to abandon ship in the early hours of the morning.

"Our understanding is that as [the crew] were preparing to get into the life rafts the boat suddenly capsized on them," he said. "They had to swim clear of the boat and try to get in the life rafts from there."

He said it appeared two crew members had not made it into the life rafts. The 14 who did were later picked up by coastguard helicopters and suffered only minor injures.

Here you can see a movie:

BBC News - HMS Bounty abandoned amid Hurricane Sandy

Apparently it is not the first time that they take the ship to really bad weather. This was taken in 2010:

Old 10-29-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I saw a Coast Guard rescue video that was said to be one of those rescued. The person in the basket was wearing a survival suit. Reports are the two missing were also wearing survival suits.

Is it normal for a vessel to carry survival suits for all the crew? I don't know that was the case but, three for three?

Hats off to the pararescuers. Seeing the survivor hoisted up in the basket with the pararescuer still in the water, then seeing him disappear in the waves... I hope the people they rescued appreciate them risking their lives to save them.
Old 10-29-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

According to the workboat.com website the boat was just relaunched at Boothbay Harbor Shipyard 10/18/12 (posted 10/22/12) after some routine maintenance. There is a video of the launch and some video of the Bounty at sea in some heavy weather. Seems like they got pretty far south quick. They have been talking about Sandy for quite awhile. Something does not make sense.

HMS Bounty launched at Boothbay Harbor Shipyard - WorkBoat.com

Last edited by LinekinBayCD; 10-29-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
...... Seems like they got pretty far south quick.
With two 375hp diesel engines, I suspect she could move right along. Albeit, not as fast as a storm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-29-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Would not be surprised if "get to itis" did not play a part in the decision making.
Familycruisers likes this.