Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermizu View Post
Sal,

I guess I'm just trying to find some explanation how they came to the decision on the 27th to change course from their most easterly position since sailing south, to head SW across the eventual path of the storm.
That would be something the crew would know for sure.

Anyway, this is an issue that I think got very confused due to the SW/SE confusion. Its clear from their path that they weren't making any serious effort to get East of the storm, but some initially said they were. It seems most likely that they were just heading south until they got a better idea of where they needed to be to catch the Western side. As it turned out, the storm headed West, so they needed to make the most dramatic adjustment. That's my theory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 11-09-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I agree, media is probably wrong at least 25% of the time. The fact (I'll use that term losely) is that it does not seem anyone was asking, telling, ordering, or sugesting that the Bounty go to sea and to leave the harbor or dock.
The only thing we know about that issue is that we don't know. Nobody responsible for the Port of New London has made any public statements that I'm aware of, and the quote from Barbara Neff does nothing to change that.
Old 11-08-2012

Quote:
Bonnie Ember posted a note in the forum under the news paper article, I have no idea what, if any connection she may have to Bounty. I just thought her opinion was interesting, even if some information may not be completely correct. It is kind of mysterious how the Bounty goes down with a direct decendent of the leader of the mutiny on the original ship.
Oh, OK, thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-08-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
The only thing we know about that issue is that we don't know. Nobody responsible for the Port of New London has made any public statements that I'm aware of, and the quote from Barbara Neff does nothing to change that.
Well if they were trying to evacuate the port, you would think Barbara Neff would be knowledgable to that information. It does not seem she knew anything about a "port evacuation" which leads me to think there was none. And by the tone of the article, it seems the setting of sail of Bounty was the Capt decision and 100% voluntary.

You could be right, maybe the Port of New London ordered him out.
Old 11-08-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

So many coloured and different sized fonts... I am so stoend right now and i just wan t paalou top jkeep porsting
Old 11-08-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Probably has sunk, but the Capt (as far as I know) was wearing a survial suit, should still be floating (I'll try not to get too morbid here), and CG cannot find him. It is a big ocean out there.
Here is the story I saw.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A11ET20121102
Old 11-08-2012

mistermizu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
As it turned out, the storm headed East,
I think you mean WEST !
Old 11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Jesus you could have asked!!!! What a mess and that is so simple:
I really don't think I'm the only one who doesn't think it's "simple". It's confusing, at best, not to mention annoying. Without any notation what your different colors, font styels, etc, mean, how could anybody know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You could and should be more careful before saying nonsense about me. Here is the post were I originally quoted the source that said that, of course in color, as usual ( pg 34, post 335):
Paolo, I'm not trying to push your buttons, but it's not nonsense. Saying "several newspapers reported" is NOT citing a source.

Example: The Captain of the Picton Castle REMAINED in Lunenberg, Nova Scotia, due to Sandy. Source: Chronicle Herald, October 29, Halifax, NS, CanadaPicton Castle captain questions Bounty being at sea during storm | The Chronicle Herald

THAT is citing a source.
Old 11-08-2012

Quote:
You could be right, maybe the Port of New London ordered him out.
Casey, I was never really suggesting that they did. I was only pointing out the unreliability of the mainstream media to even ask the right person, and even when they do, they often don't ask the right questions. I've never been to New London, but it took less than a minute to find out who the Harbormaster is.

I personally don't think the Bounty was asked or ordered to leave port, but it was a question raised that hasn't been answered, AFAIK.
Old 11-08-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Here's an interesting statement in that article:
"The Bounty's three masts were visible for some time above the waves but from Tuesday night, the Coast Guard has been unable to locate the ship, Patterson said. The water depth where Bounty sank is around 13,000 feet, he said." (my emphasis)

So, technically, yes, it's possible she's still floating around out there somewhere.. like a shipping container... As I see it, that she has sunk is not, technically, a known fact at this time.

I remember reading stories of old English naval timber hulks (old warships without masts) being disposed of at sea initially refusing to sink after losing their ballast.

Last edited by Classic30; 11-08-2012 at 08:19 PM.