Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

how is the Captain possibly not to blame? The ONLY scenario I can see is that he got a weather forecast that said it would be sunshine and rainbows and he believed it.

Otherwise, it is his fault, period.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
And the Captain bashing keeps rolling on........we know he is to blame.[

Bashing is a harsh, gratuitous, prejudicial attack on a person, group or subject. Literally, bashing is a term meaning to hit or assault, but when it is used as a suffix, or in conjunction with a noun indicating the subject being attacked, it is normally used to imply that the act is motivated by bigotry....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing_(pejorative)

Dave, no one is bashing the Captain. When you say that there are people bashing the Captain you are insulting those persons. A person that bashes somebody in a gratuitous attack motivated by bigotry is an ugly and depictable person and I don't believe that apply to any of those involved in this discussion.

No one is moved by bigotry here.

Regards

Paulo
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 11-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And the Captain bashing keeps rolling on........we know he is to blame.[

Its like beating a dead horse.
Well.. ya... jeez.. ya know... It's a dead horse, But hopefully picking it a part, examining his errors and the errors of those before him, that made tragically irresponsable decisions, the rest of the herd can avoid future catastrophy's. Blame is a normal and healthy part of the process.
Old 11-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Bashing is a harsh, gratuitous, prejudicial attack on a person, group or subject. Literally, bashing is a term meaning to hit or assault, but when it is used as a suffix, or in conjunction with a noun indicating the subject being attacked, it is normally used to imply that the act is motivated by bigotry....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing_(pejorative)

Dave, no one is bashing the Captain. When you say that there are people bashing the Captain you are insulting those persons. A person that bashes somebody in a gratuitous attack motivated by bigotry is an ugly and depictable person and I don't believe that apply to any of those involved in this discussion.

No one is moved by bigotry here.-PCP
Gee Wizz Paulo,

In your haste to jump on what I sayand to go after me please read the dictionary next time. NO ONE IMPLIED ANY BIGOTRY EXCEPT YOU. I certainly didnt

Quote:
to attack physically or verbally
-Websters Dictionary

Quote:
To criticize (another) harshly, accusatorially, and threateningly: "He bashed the . . . government unmercifully over the . . . spy affair" (Lally Weymouth).

I used the King's English here correctly my friend.

Captain Aaron,

There are many lessons I think which will come out. The one which is so apparent was the Captains setting sail into a storm. No one disagrees with his responsibility on here that I can see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-15-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Yes indeed, I supose I did nothing more than point out the obvious.
Old 11-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Gee Wizz Paulo,

In your haste to jump on what I sayand to go after me please read the dictionary next time. NO ONE IMPLIED ANY BIGOTRY EXCEPT YOU. I certainly didnt

Dave, I am here to attack nobody but to enjoy and learn. You keep saying people are bashing a dead captain. I find that awful, I mean bashing a dead man and I resent you say that there are some doing that. Probably you did not wanted to say that, but then it is to you to say that you did not mean to say somebody (or some) were bashing here a dead Captain.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

No Captain Aaron...it was your first post concerning the incident. We have some who post the same thing about the Captain over and over again. Its not you. Your posts are usually right on and succinct.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-16-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
No Captain Aaron...it was your first post concerning the incident. We have some who post the same thing about the Captain over and over again. Its not you. Your posts are usually right on and succinct.
Thank you and yes. I try to find a balance between speaking my mind and not offending ( quite difficult but getting easier) Just for sh!t's and giggles what was my first post on the incident? I tried to read back but everything I read was spot on and elequent so I failed to see the prompt to mention with anything but praise.
Old 11-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Or a blind confidence in paper.
Or blind confidence that navigational aids are actually there. Case in point: Chart says 55' lighted tower. When you arrive there you see a 55 gallon drum painted fluorescent orange. The Bahamian Harbor Master says, "Oh that tower! It blew down in a storm years ago so we put a 55 gallon drum in it's place."

No big deal. It only marked the entry into the harbor on which either side sat shallow shoals that would ground any boat with a draft of 3' or less.
davidpm likes this.
Old 11-16-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Or blind confidence that navigational aids are actually there. Case in point: Chart says 55' lighted tower. When you arrive there you see a 55 gallon drum painted fluorescent orange. The Bahamian Harbor Master says, "Oh that tower! It blew down in a storm years ago so we put a 55 gallon drum in it's place."

No big deal. It only marked the entry into the harbor on which either side sat shallow shoals that would ground any boat with a draft of 3' or less.
Aids to navigation are notorious for breaking, and disappearing. Especially outside the states. But they are just that, aid's. I looked for the green flasher off the north end Of Isla Mujeres till sunrise the first time I sailed there. it had been broken since Gilbert. I assume they are'nt there and and rejoice when they are, but I alway's know where I am on paper.