Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
The Bahamian Harbor Master says, "Oh that tower! It blew down in a storm years ago so we put a 55 gallon drum in it's place." .
Those Bahamians are fun.

They probably took the 55 gal drum from another shipping channel.

In the Caribbean at a swap meet I was trying to sell my last remaining paper charts and I had one of the island we were on.... These two, youngish, fishermen were looking at it, pouring over it, like they had never seen one before. They obviously couldn't afford it, i think i was asking $5 for it, but I couldn't give it to them as they were proud, so I sold it to them for a dollar. And they said they fished there all their lives and had never seen the chart. They carried it round the whole market like it was gold.

It was a magic moment.
casey1999 and JulieMor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

The Bounty accident on the Italian Nautical press:

"Affondamento della replica del Bounty: dubbi sul comandante

In molti si chiedono perché il comandante del Bounty abbia portato la sua nave nel mezzo dell'uragano Sandy

Raleigh, North Caroline (USA) – In molti si chiedono perché il comandante della replica del Bounty, il veliero protagonista del famoso ammutinamento, Robin Walbridge, morto nel naufragio della sua nave il 29 ottobre scorso, abbia deciso di prendere il mare nonostante l'arrivo dell'uragano Sandy fosse sicuro e la sua forza già prevista?

La risposta in parte si trova sulla pagina di Facebook del veliero, dove Walbridge, che ormai si trovava in mezzo alla tempesta, ha scritto: " Questo viaggio del Bounty è una decisione calcolata... non c'è mancanza di lungimiranza o irresponsabilità, come alcuni hanno suggerito. Una nave, quando c'è burrasca, è più sicura in mare che in porto".

Probabilmente è questa convinzione che ha portato il comandante del Bounty a uscire in mare nonostante le pessime previsioni meteorologiche.
Walbridge era convinto di poter aggirare l'uragano, ma molti suoi colleghi hanno dichiarato che era una convinzione assurda, l'estensione e la potenza di Sandy era tale da non lasciare alcuna speranza di poterlo aggirare.

Dopo più di un giorno passato nella tempesta scatenata dall'uragano a 90 miglia a largo di Cape Hatteras, il Bounty ha cominciato a fare acqua al ritmo di 60 centimetri all'ora. Una quantità gestibile su di una nave da 60 metri modernamente attrezzata, nonostante fosse concepita come un veliero del 700.

Il comandante Walbridge, aveva 63 anni ed erano 17 anni che comandava la nave. La famiglia del comandante Robin Walbridge lo chiama eroe per aver voluto salvare il suo equipaggio prima della sua stessa vita, come in effetti il comandante ha fatto.

Se, però, l'inchiesta appurerà che Walbridge ha preso una decisione irresponsabile portando la nave in mare e andando a navigare verso la zona d'influenza di Sandy, invece di rimanere nella zona di Hallifax, dove la nave avrebbe potuto attendere il passaggio dell'uragano, passerà alla storia per aver ucciso se stesso, un membro del proprio equipaggio e perso la sua nave."

Naufragi: Affondamento della replica del Bounty: dubbi sul comandante

If you don't read Italian you can run it through google translator but it is much what have been said here.

Old 11-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Those Bahamians are fun.

They probably took the 55 gal drum from another shipping channel.
I like that because it's probably true!

When we were over there, we anchored off a beach where there were a lot of people. We took the dinghy in and and beached it. The kids, who were pretty young at the time, loved it. It was great for me because so much of the water was so shallow off the beach. No sudden drop offs!

I was in the water, maybe shin deep, with my two youngest when suddenly I heard a man yell, "Shark!" I looked about 200 feet away and saw a small dorsal fin. The water was so clear I could see it easily. It was about a 3-4 foooter. The kids froze then the Bahamian man ran out into the water towards the shark, yelling at it, trying to shoo it away.

Yeah, they are fun!
Old 11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
The water was so clear I could see it easily. !

Clearest water close to islands I've seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2012

Interesting editorial on gCaptain. I guess they take a general position that is not very agreeable to amateurs but then perhaps it is good to remember the time this thread took to align with the views they had from the beginning about Bounty's Captain actions in what regard the best strategies to deal with an Hurricane or the need to wait for an investigation to know if the Captain was to blame or not.

BY ROB ALMEIDA ON NOVEMBER 6, 2012 (Rob Almeida is partner and CMO of Unofficial Networks and an editor of gCaptain.com. He graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1999 with a B.S in Naval Architecture and spent 6.5 years on active duty as a Surface Warfare Officer.)

"The Disconnect Between Professional Mariners and Recreational Boaters over the Bounty Tragedy.

Ever since the Bounty sank off Cape Hatteras last week a fiery online debate has literally raged.

It’s a tragic event that pretty much everyone who has ever spent any time at all on the ocean has an opinion on. HMS Bounty’s Facebook page, gCaptain’s Facebook page, the Woodenboat Forum, the Trawler Forum, and of course gCaptain have been a few of the focal points for this unfolding story. None have pulled punches, although a few days ago the Bounty’s Facebook page moderators removed the ability for people to comment on their page due to an influx of critical comments.

Nowhere on the internet however, has more criticism been raised of this event than the gCaptain Forum. With over 20,000 members from around the world, this forum has essentially grown to become the social media platform for the professional maritime industry. And when it comes to seamanship, you better believe they have an opinion and are unafraid to share it with you.

Steamer, a gCaptain Forum Member, brought up an interesting comment today about the disconnect between the professional community and the recreational community that I thought deserved particular highlight. Here’s what he posted:....

If nothing else this whole Bounty affair is showing us that there really is a gulf between the recreational (including the TSC) hobbyist and the professional mariner. These guys are really really scary, a lot scarier than I ever believed they were. I think this storm has opened a few eyes but unfortunately it seems to have driven some of the survivors into a deeper defensive position, from fear or just embarrassment I don’t know.”

http://gcaptain.com/author/rob/

Last edited by PCP; 11-17-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Just to be sure I'm not missing something. TSC stands for?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
And the Captain bashing keeps rolling on........we know he is to blame.[

Its like beating a dead horse.
Chef,

You may choose not to, but I would ask if you would indulge me in an example of any scenario where the Captain won't take the full blame here.

I would defend you against any that would argue you are suggesting such an example was what happened. I'm just trying to understand your point of view that something from the investigation could soften the overwhelming criticism of the Captain over the loss of life.

If you prefer not to, I understand.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Just to be sure I'm not missing something. TSC stands for?
Tall ships community.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-17-2012

Just says there is a divide, doesnt say what the divide it?

Are the Pros saying: think nothing till the Coast Guard report comes out? Or are the pros saysing sail on into hurricanes?

Are the recreational boaters all of the same mind? Reading our threads it doesnt seem so.

Old 11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Tall ships community.

Regards

Paulo
So they are lumping the Tall Ship Community into the recreational boating community and drawing a distinction from professional mariners.

However, I'm not entirely clear how they are stereotyping the two camps.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.