Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Even if I don't like it a bit, a mandatory rescue insurance will be an effective measure

I agree with this

But we dont even have mandaory boat insurance here. How would you require someone like smallboatlover to get this when they dont even want to purchase liability or insurance against environmental damage ? Mandatory...oh man that wont resonate well with most

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I agree with this

But we dont even have mandaory boat insurance here. How would you require someone like smallboatlover to get this when they dont even want to purchase liability or insurance against environmental damage ? Mandatory...oh man that wont resonate well with most
Most boats need to be registered with the ported state, even very small day sailors. Maybe the states could require insurance when registering. The same way cars are required to have liability insurance when registering.

Actually, the states would like this, another way to make money off boaters. Part of the money could go to the federal government to pay the Coast Guard.
Old 11-20-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You mean this?:

quote:

Conditions worsened later in the day. Crew members began pulling out immersion suits — used to keep them dry and warm in the water — and stuffing dry bags with rations in case the order came to abandon ship, Barksdale said.
I have a question about water temperature:

Somewhere I read that the water temperature was 77degF, elsewhere 25degC. If that's true, what's with the Gumby suits? I would not have thought they'd be needed (or helpful) in those conditions if the water was that warm. What have I missed?
Old 11-20-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...if the good sense continues to lack and the number of rescues continue to raise...
Please post a link to your source for these statistics. I did not realize that the frequency of rescues was actually rising and I would be very interested in seeing this.

Or does it just seem like this because of TV shows like Coast Guard Alaska and web sites like Sail net?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
I have a question about water temperature:

Somewhere I read that the water temperature was 77degF, elsewhere 25degC. If that's true, what's with the Gumby suits? I would not have thought they'd be needed (or helpful) in those conditions if the water was that warm. What have I missed?
I saw that 77 deg report (I believe from the CG). If in or near the gulf stream the water can be warm. But even at 77 deg with the wind blowing and at night, an imersion suit would be good. Although I could see it could hinder you while trying to swim clear of a sinking ship and its rigging (as one survior described). The imersion suit would also help you float in those high wind and large breaking waves. Those suits saved some lives on the Bounty no doubt.

Here in Hawaii the water is normally between 72 and 77 degree. While exerting a lot of energy I can get real cold. After cleaning to bottom of my boat, even with a shorty wet suit on, I come out of the water real cold. Most free divers wear some type of wet suit to stay warm.

Last edited by casey1999; 11-20-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Even if I don't like it a bit, a mandatory rescue insurance will be an effective measure. It will make possible even for the ones that want to go offshore on old boats in bad condition or in inadequate boats to do so but the premium would be so big in that case that would really discourage them do that. For guys with big new boats the premium would be probably very small unless the area to sail was particularly dangerous.

Regards

Paulo
If you were familiar with the insurance industry you would not have said that.
Old 11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Please post a link to your source for these statistics. I did not realize that the frequency of rescues was actually rising and I would be very interested in seeing this.

Or does it just seem like this because of TV shows like Coast Guard Alaska and web sites like Sail net?
I do not have a source of rescue data, but I will see what I can find. One thing for sure is all these PLB and SPOT's, and cell phones with gps make people feel safer while going on adventure. Help is only a push button away. What this leads to is people taking greater risks as they think they can just punch out when things get to dicey. This happens not only on the water, but on hiking trails and other inland sports locations.
Old 11-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
If you were familiar with the insurance industry you would not have said that.
What do you mean? I am only familiar with the ones here and they take into consideration the age of the boat, the type of boat, the navigation area, the sailor's experience and previous accidents. A good insurance company adequate the premiums to the risks. It is not like that in the US?

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

I am not sure how to read into this data, but looks like number of rescues and the rescue hours continues to fall, so maybe all the electronic beacons we have save the CG money:
RITA | BTS | Table 2-49: U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue Statistics, Fiscal Year
Old 11-20-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What do you mean? I am only familiar with the ones here and they take into consideration the age of the boat, the type of boat, the navigation area, the sailor's experience and previous accidents. A good insurance company adequate the premiums to the risks. It is not like that in the US?

Regards

Paulo
I suppose it is similar. They do have lots of statistics that they share portions of. But since I think insurance companies are basically evil I have to say that they will never be truly fair in pricing the cost for anyone. I don't know how the oversight is where you are. Here it is strictly regulated but they get away with "murder" all the time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.