Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Have there been any interviews of the crew yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Looks like the mast broke off about 1/2 way up. What would have caused that?
Hurricanes do that sort of thing - always have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-30-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Hurricanes do that sort of thing - always have.
Yea but during the rescue and before the wind reports were not of huricane strength or anywhere near to it. So must not have been the cane that broke em.

"Officials with the U.S. Coast Guard said the winds in the area are sustained in the 75 km/h range."

That is 47 mph, well below cane strength and a bare pole mast should not break.

Last edited by casey1999; 10-30-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmum View Post
Busting myth of when to step into liferaft. Worthwhile read. Fromgcaptain
Hurricane Survival – No Place for Absolutes | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News
I think he is taking the old advice too literally - I think it has always simply meant "don't leave a boat that isn't actually sinking". This was observed more than once in the Fastnet disaster where abandoned boats were found floating days later. A liferaft is a last resort, not an "option" so to speak. Many people have died merely trying to transfer to a liferaft.

Obviously if a CG chopper is overhead and swimmers like the quoted one are in the water, you get off as they instruct, floating or sinking.

Only a fool would act contrary to their instructions - they know a hell of lot more about critical situations than any (or at least most) of us.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I think he is taking the old advice too literally - I think it has always simply meant "don't leave a boat that isn't actually sinking". This was observed more than once in the Fastnet disaster where abandoned boats were found floating days later. A liferaft is a last resort, not an "option" so to speak. Many people have died merely trying to transfer to a liferaft.

Obviously if a CG chopper is overhead and swimmers like the quoted one are in the water, you get off as they instruct, floating or sinking.

Only a fool would act contrary to their instructions - they know a hell of lot more about critical situations than any (or at least most) of us.
I think he is saying sometimes the boat is stronger than the crew and you should get off. Just because a boat is found floating does not mean the crew could have survived on the boat. A bad knock down could kill you and the boat would be fine.
Old 10-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I wonder if it sank or is floating half submerged and will go up on a beach somewhere. The pictures look like it's floating on its side.
Old 10-30-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A bad knock down could kill you and the boat would be fine.
I think you would be more likely to get pots and pans on your head in a knock down, but would be more likely to die in a liferaft (in big breaking seas). Unless something really heavy gets loose in the cabin, I would imagine you would make it.
Old 10-30-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Getting off isn't always a safe and easy option. There's been plenty of rescues that've ended up nearly killing the people being rescued. I can think of 2 in the recent year. S/V Triumph were the captain nearly drowned and the Liahona which got crushed by the bulb of the container ship as it came along side them.

The example given in the article of Marine Flower II is a pretty poor counter example too. Why on Earth would someone sail a 64ft ketch if they were going to possibly end up single handling it?
Old 10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I think you would be more likely to get pots and pans on your head in a knock down, but would be more likely to die in a liferaft (in big breaking seas). Unless something really heavy gets loose in the cabin, I would imagine you would make it.
Just getting thrown from one side of the boat to the other in a knock down could kill you, wearing a motorcycle helment during storm conditions might help.
smurphny and Brewgyver like this.
Old 10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
The example given in the article of Marine Flower II is a pretty poor counter example too. Why on Earth would someone sail a 64ft ketch if they were going to possibly end up single handling it?
I don't think the owner ever planned to single hand it. Here is the rescue vid if you have never seen it. Pretty amazing all were safe including the baby:
marine flower 2 rescue video - Bing Videos

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...2+rescue+video