Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

This thread has run its course till the investigation concludes or there is new info, but fret not there is another tragedy thread started to comment on....Its the catamnaran dive boat running the inlet....let the speculations begin!!!!! \

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The Medical Examiner on Friday ruled the Thanksgiving Day death of a diver aboard a capsized boat a drowning. - Page 2 - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Might as well start speculating here. Only one less death than the Bounty and the same as Rule 62. I am sure there is something to be learned from this for the future?

Was the Captain at fault comming in on wind and current opposition? Why didnt he respect the new sandbar formed? Were the wearung PFD.s? Did he try and use his chartplotter to navigate the inlet?

Let me go pop some popcorn.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
There is more at work than just the dependence on electronic navigation and weather services. It seems to me that there are more million dollar rigs on the water now then back before dead reckoning was the only nav method. There are just more people with money to burn who decide they are going to buy an expensive boat and be sailors. Many, not all, are really not suited to an activity like sailing. What works in a cubicle does not translate to what works on a sailboat. Judgement, respect for the sea, mechanical ability in a pinch; experience can't be bought. Sailing goes back to some basic skills with which many executive sailors have no connection. They pay their insurance premium and off they go. We get stuck with the bill eventually in increased insurance costs. So, stupid decisions to try to navigate tricky passages in crappy conditions are probably more directly related to hubris and money than to reliance on plotters.
Well, DUH... (grin)

Yeah, the RULE 62 deal certainly has all the earmarks of the phenomenon you describe...

Still, I'll repeat it again... GPS is the primary "enabler" of this phenomenon... RULE 62 would not have been sailing in the Caribbean 1500 if it were not for GPS... Hell, rallies like the 1500 have been enabled by GPS, why did they not exist prior to the advent of the accuracy of position fixing afforded by electronic navigation?

Hanging around the docks for the week or so prior to the departure of something like the 1500 can be an eye-opening experience, for some... Seeing arriving crew dragging freakin' SUITCASES down the docks towards a Hylas 56, it becomes pretty apparent some of these folks likely don't have a CLUE what they might be in for...

Examples abound, of folks headed out there now who have a good deal more money, than sea-sense, or experience...

chef2sail, smurphny and casey1999 like this.
Old 11-25-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Jon, you can't turn back the clock.
Old 11-25-2012

Quote:
Hanging around the docks for the week or so prior to the departure of something like the 1500 can be an eye-opening experience, for some... Seeing arriving crew dragging freakin' SUITCASES down the docks towards a Hylas 56, it becomes pretty apparent some of these folks likely don't have a CLUE what they might be in for...JonEisenberg
Hell thats probably what the clipper ship capitains and crew were saying in Southhampton England as people boarded the tourist ship called the Titanic,

John I dont completely disagree with what you are saying, but how do you propose changing what you see?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-25-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

I am staying subscribed to this thread to find out more about the BOUNTY.

It sure is tiring to hear all the BICKERING about some other boats and chartplotters and inlets and rocks and........

SHUT THE FU*K UP!
Old 11-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

On this link that Sal posted and that is a recent article there are some interesting new statements and information:

Quoted:

"The ship .. was “built as a movie set, not an ocean-going ship,” said longtime tall ship designer and naval architect Andrew Davis, president of Tri-Coastal Marine in California....The Bounty was nearly twice as long as the original vessel, lengthened to accommodate movie crews....

Barksdale’s knowledge of engines, motors and things mechanical qualified him to be the Bounty’s engineer. But he spent his first three weeks of his six-week experience on the Bounty while the ship was in dry dock in Maine getting its hull caulked with oakum. Sailing aboard a tall ship ...“It was a chance to do something in a way it was done 200 years ago, to go to sea and just step back in time,” Barksdale said.

In Nelson, he operates a home-repair company called the Honey-Do Handyman, a name suggesting he’s not unaccustomed to taking orders.

Barksdale, a novice at sea...was finding it increasingly difficult to do his job. Working in the engine room, Barksdale encountered high temperatures in cramped quarters, surrounded by two couch-size generators and twin 375 horsepower diesel main engines. He could barely afford to let go of something secure.

“All of our hands were numb from having to hold on to something,” he said. “It took a death grip to hold on.”...

Barksdale said the ship was being hit by 70 mph winds and 30-foot seas. Over the next several hours, the main engines failed, leaving the boat without propulsion and without the hydraulic pumps. It became impossible to fight the water level inside the boat’s hull, which was rising about 2 feet each hour, Barksdale acknowledged.

“It was clear the boat was filling with water but I don’t understand entirely why that happened and I’m not going to speculate. We were taking on more water than we were pumping out.” The second generator was the last to fail...

Barksdale was being overwhelmed in the engine room and other crew members, including Walbridge and Svendsen, rushed to spell him, trying to keep the pumps free of clogging debris.

“I couldn’t take more than an hour at a time in there,” Barksdale said, describing how he was becoming increasingly seasick, drained by the 100-degree heat and battered as the ship twisted and turned in the waves and wind.

“Some of the real heroes of all this are the crew members who climbed the rat lines, got up in the rigging and were able to furl the sails,” he said.

Barksdale said he and the rest of the crew had been able to get only a few hours sleep in the previous two days.

“You had to hold on to something solid with one hand and try to clear the pumps with the other, trying not to bang your head or crash against something the whole time. I was just exhausted and so was everyone else,” Barksdale said.

Questions persist about the loss of a ship and two lives far at sea - Richmond Times-Dispatch: News:

The rest is already been told in other article even if this one is the best I have read.

Some new things. Barksdale confirmed my conviction that the boat was not being sailed but relied only on its engines and at the end only in one.

It seems also that Flatballer was right in what regards problems with debris clogging the pumps.

Old 11-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
I am staying subscribed to this thread to find out more about the BOUNTY.

It sure is tiring to hear all the BICKERING about some other boats and chartplotters and inlets and rocks and........

SHUT THE FU*K UP!
Jesus, therapy...you need to calm down

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-25-2012

Quote:
Barksdale confirmed my conviction that the boat was not being sailed but relied only on its engines and at the end only in one.
I must have missed seeing this , where did it say it didnt sail at all, just motored thw whole time

Barksdale also shoots a hole into the theory that the Captain was some A hole unqualified, blowhard who was followed blindly by a crew of cultists like who followed Jim Jones as was speculated by some in this thread

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 11-25-2012

Therapy...now that was the most intelligent post you have ever done.
Keep up the good work.

Good god man its only the internet...if it torments you so you dont have to read the stuff you know.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 11-25-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Jesus, therapy...you need to calm down

Regards

Paulo
Damn it. I was going to say that.

It's very difficult to be witty after two others have.

Therapy, go get a couch.

chef2sail likes this.