LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
therapy, go get a couch
lmao

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
On this link that Sal posted and that is a recent article there are some interesting new statements and information:

Quoted:

[COLOR="Blue"]dry dock in Maine getting its hull caulked with oakum.

“It was clear the boat was filling with water but I don’t understand entirely why that happened and I’m not going to speculate. We were taking on more water than we were pumping out.”

trying to keep the pumps free of clogging debris.

increasingly seasick, drained by the 100-degree heat

I was just exhausted and so was everyone else,” Barksdale said.
I've always thought that its more than one problem that makes a catastrophe.

Does anyone know if new caulking can be a problem? Or if its new its gunna be great? I would have thought that if its not put in right, and its not so simple to do, then if a whole lot comes out that could explain it. But I still prefer the sprung plank theory.

Sea sickness, exhaustion and then something so "simple" as crap in the bilge pumps strainer. I know mine clogs and in an emergency I am just flicking the mesh. Perhaps I will put in a raw water type strainer which one can clean pretty well instantly... And can hold a lot more debris.

I have no doubt the mechanic was as courageous as the crew that went up the rigging. Being below the waterline in that mess in a leaking ship, seasick and exhausted must have been terrible.

Old 11-25-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Therapy...now that was the most intelligent post you have ever done.
Keep up the good work.

Good god man its only the internet...if it torments you so you dont have to read the stuff you know.

Dave
I want to know about the BOUNTY.

Not about chartplotters and how inaccurate (or accurate) they are.

Get it?
Old 11-25-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Damn it. I was going to say that.

It's very difficult to be witty after two others have.

Therapy, go get a couch.

I am on the couch.

They keep changing the channel.
Old 11-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Does anyone know if new caulking can be a problem? ....
Yes Mark. I had a wooden boat

When the boat has new caulking the boat has to be on the water for a considerable time for the wood to swell and press the caulk preventing the water ingress. In the time wooden boat building was a big industry in the place I live, smaller boats when they were repaired were sometimes sunk purposely to be fully immersed on water to accelerate the process. A boat with a new caulking makes always some water and his more prone to movement on the planks since they are not yet fully compressed by the wood swelling.

Regards

paulo
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 11-25-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Does anyone know if new caulking can be a problem? Or if its new its gunna be great? I would have thought that if its not put in right, and its not so simple to do, then if a whole lot comes out that could explain it. But I still prefer the sprung plank theory.
If caulking isn't done right then, yes, it could have worked out. Yes, a plank or two might have sprung.. but unless they send a dive team down, it's more likely that no-one will ever really know.

I guess the point is that, as quoted, just like sinking of the 'Titanic', for whatever reason "there was more water coming in than could be pumped out".
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 11-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I must have missed seeing this , where did it say it didnt sail at all, just motored the whole time
I did not have said that they had motored all time, I said that it seems that the boat was not being sailed at the time of the accident, when they had no engines left. The "Engineer" says that they had furled the sails. These ones are not like the genoa in your boat that can be furled partially. You furl them or unfurled them. Besides in the photos of the boat lying on the sea you cannot see any sail.

Quote:
Barksdale also shoots a hole into the theory that the Captain was some A hole unqualified, blowhard who was followed blindly by a crew of cultists like who followed Jim Jones as was speculated by some in this thread
That is a strong one Dave

We all know what Braksdale and all the crew thought about the Captain. They valued him so much that have followed him to the pass of an Hurricane without any question. His opinion or the opinion of the rest of the crew is irrelevant to asses if he was a good Captain or not. A good Captain does not make gross judgment errors and put all his crew in danger in the face of predictable events.

I have already said that the Captain was a great sailor, had certainly a lot of charisma and was probably a nice guy. That does not make him necessarily a good Captain.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-25-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post

Get it?
Well, looks like you're gonna have to wait until the results of the official investigation...
Old 11-25-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post

Get it?
Sorry, pal, I think you're in the wrong place.

If it's facts that you're looking for, I'm not sure this (or any Internet message board) is the place. There just aren't a whole lot of facts right now. You might want to monitor the USCG's Incident Investigation website, and traditional hard news websites. You can probably set up an automated alert to be notified when some actual reports emerge.

If, OTOH, you're looking for speculation of experienced sailors who have some keen insights, this is your place. But part of that speculation will have to include chartplotters and other navigational tools, since their speculation includes technology as enabling factors in this and other accidents.

Sorry, I think your expectations are unreasonable.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-26-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Some new things. Barksdale confirmed my conviction that the boat was not being sailed but relied only on its engines and at the end only in one PCP.
really means

Quote:
I said that it seems that the boat was not being sailed at the time of the accident, when they had no engines left.PCP
Ok I get it. I asume you mean the accident being at the end of the voyage. I was wondering bevause That boat would have really suprised me motoring to get to that position, when previous reports said the motor was barely able to power the boat.

Riddle me this I cant seem to grasp this...one one hand you say refering to Barksdale:

Quote:
His opinion or the opinion of the rest of the crew is irrelevant to asses if he was a good Captain or not.PCP
then on the other hand you say

Quote:
The rest is already been told in other article even if this one is the best I have read.PCP
His opinion is irrelevant to asses but I will quote what he said and find it the best statement I have read, but I also quote the gCaptain bloggers too.

So is his opinion and statement relevant or not?

BTW To answer your question...I do sail quite frequently at night. I have done many miles of blue water sailing at night also. I also sail in the Chesapeake at night where there are visable buoys, but not in all locations. Do I trust my chartplotter at night? I ALWAYS run my digital radar concurrently on my boat Lets just say that if I use it to navigate I run a secondary GPS instrument ( AID/ GPS/ DSC VHF as well as an I Pad and Droid phone to insure that what I see has a backup as I dont completely trust the chartplotter. When offshore I assume its off 1 mile ( way more than the tolerances). In additon I would never enter an inlet, shoal area, channel in a rage at night using just a chartplotter. I have the sense/ experience to stand off, heave to and wait for daylight. I have been put in situations before during deliveries as well as my own coastal cruising where I have stood off entering until daylight. Better to be safe than sorry.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.