Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Why are we arguing about water bottles and nav pods in a thread about how stupid the Bounty was? Let's get to 1000 posts on topic.
PCP and chef2sail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I'm really perplexed why some appear to so strenuously reject the simple notion that today's technology might have been a contributing factor to an incident such as that involving RULE 62...
With both the Bounty and Rule 62 it had been cloudy for days so neither would have had a position for days using your technology.

The old stuff just doesn't hack it in the modern world.
Congrats, you have simultaneously missed my point entirely, and yet unwittingly supported it completely... (grin)

My point exactly: Without the ability to fix a precise position for days, any sane/prudent captain aboard RULE 62 would never have closed so closely upon the treacherous lee shore represented by the Abacos... instead, being comparatively uncertain of his position, he likely would have chosen to make for the 40-mile wide opening of NE Providence Channel - marked by some of the most powerful lighthouses in the Bahamas - rather than shooting for an unlit opening in a reef 75 meters wide, in the dark...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-26-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

He shouldnt have made either decision, he should have had the experience to heave to and tough it out, Like everyone else in the 1500 did.

Advancing toward the Bahamas Bank and shallow water created large seas and was a mistake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-26-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Recently saw where ACR (one of the largest maker of Epirbs) has a "Survivor Site" on there web page. You become a "ACR Survivor" after you have activated your ACR Epirb in a real emergency. They give you a new Epirb as part of your free membership. Read the "Survivor" stories here:

http://www.acrartex.com/survivors/

On this site you can get the details by putting your cursor on the survivors name and clicking:
http://www.acrartex.com/survivors/stories/

Last edited by casey1999; 11-26-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Congrats, you have simultaneously missed my point entirely, and yet unwittingly supported it completely... (grin)
No I have picked you for the stupidity of your 'argument' that to be lost at sea is a good thing.

Old 11-26-2012

I thought this was interesting from the ACR site:

ACR Electronics Inc - ACR and ARTEX BeaconsFoster Stanback Rescue / ACR and ARTEX Beacons

"When I arrived they told me that the base commander wanted to talk to me. I thought, "Oh no, here we go. He's going to chew me out for sinking a boat and involving dozens of people in an expensive rescue operation." Soon a smiling young man came out and listened attentively as I divulged all the details of our ordeal. When I was finished, he said, "Well, we just want to thank you for making our job a whole lot easier." My three friends, who were taken further north to the air station at LAX, asked the rescue swimmer how often he had had to go out at night on rescue operations. He replied that, surprisingly, such missions were quite common, but we were the first actual "survivors" he had pulled out of the water in seven years. People typically lose consciousness in 1 to 2 hours in 50-60 degree water. Our wetsuits would perhaps have given us a few more hours, but there was no way we would have made the ten mile swim to the shore of Catalina.

The only things that saved us were the ACR Survival Craft Radio and the ResQLink personal locator beacon. Yes, even the radio still did its job after I had dislodged the battery, thanks to an amazing new system developed by the Coast Guard called Rescue 21. Any distress call on the emergency channel is picked up by various receiving towers and immediately recorded on a computer. A program then calculates the exact coordinates of the source of the transmission using triangulation. The Coast Guard personnel were able to pinpoint exactly where we were when I made our brief May Day call. They then overlaid the position being reported by the ResQLink and got a perfect match. Thanks to these amazing electronic devices and the dedication and professionalism of the Coast Guard, we were the lucky participants in a "textbook rescue.""

Seems in addition to life jackets and maybe a life raft, a wet suit or survival suit for each crew may be a good idea.
Old 11-26-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Let's get to 1000 posts on topic.
Okay. 23 to go...
Old 11-26-2012

Once the Coast Guard report is out, we should be able to get to 2,000 in no time while we discuss the reports findings.
Old 11-26-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why are we arguing about water bottles and nav pods in a thread about how stupid the Bounty was? Let's get to 1000 posts on topic.
That was answered after my post.
Old 11-26-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Or off........