Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Once the Coast Guard report is out, we should be able to get to 2,000 in no time while we discuss the reports findings.
Let's have a pool on when we might expect this report. I have a gallon of ritas that says we won't have seen it by this time next year. Anyone in?

Double or nothing says it doesn't answer half our questions. If there is a single declaration of hull failure, some will try to suggest it wasn't the Captain's fault. Maybe that last line is a triple or nothing wager.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

I completely, 100% buy into " the simple notion that today's technology might have been a contributing factor to an incident such as that involving RULE 62." But your choice of the word "might" is revealing. By using the word "might," I think you subconsciously acknowledged that your notion is speculation. So deep down, I think you agree with me more than you're willing to admit.
Uhh, OF COURSE I agree this is all speculative, I'm pretty certain I've admitted that more than once in the course of this thread...

Nevertheless, I believe discussions of a speculative nature can still have value, and think many of the side issues that have arisen in this thread are certainly worthy of discussion... If the thread is to be kept solely "on topic", and nothing of a speculative nature is to be permitted at all, then it seems it would need be closed by the mods, awaiting the results of whatever official investigation a year or two hence...

I've always found that most sailors like to talk... To establish such strict guidelines seems akin to prohibiting any discussion of the Super Bowl during the two week interval prior to the game, for example...

Not to mention, any placing of bets on the game... What fun would that be? (grin)
Old 11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
Congrats, you have simultaneously missed my point entirely, and yet unwittingly supported it completely... (grin)
No I have picked you for the stupidity of your 'argument' that to be lost at sea is a good thing.
Wow, That’s quite an imagination you’ve got there, Mark…

Care to point to the post(s) where I’ve posited anything remotely close to such a position?

I'll be departing Dodson's boatyard in Stonington, CT first thing in the AM, and with snow and restricted visibility in the forecast for LIS tomorrow and tomorrow night, rest assured I'll be quite content to know precisely where I am every mile of the way...
Old 11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
He shouldnt have made either decision, he should have had the experience to heave to and tough it out, Like everyone else in the 1500 did.

Advancing toward the Bahamas Bank and shallow water created large seas and was a mistake.
I don’t know, I’d hardly describe the NE Providence Channel as “shallow”, Dave… Don’t have a chart handy at the moment, but I’m gonna guess it probably averages somewhere between a mile or two deep, for most of the 40 miles or so between the tip of Great Abaco and N Eleuthera… If he’d run for the shelter of Spanish Wells, or Hole in the Wall or Sandy Point, he probably wouldn’t have come on soundings again until being in the lee of Royal Island, or Great Abaco, or whatever other option he might have chosen…

Sounds like a couple of his crew was pretty sick, and had been for days… Prolonged, serious seasickness can easily lead to dehydration and other serious medical issues, I doubt many medical professionals would endorse “toughing it out” in such a situation... Especially since the easily approached safe haven, and excellent medical clinic - or even a 2-3 hour fast ferry connection to Nassau for anyone seriously ill - would have been available at Spanish Wells... just another half a day’s sailing away…

Really has to make you wonder about the value of the advice given by the 1500 rally organizers for your $1500, when superior advice is available on Sailnet for free, no? (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-26-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Wow, That’s quite an imagination you’ve got there, Mark…

Care to point to the post(s) where I’ve posited anything remotely close to such a position?

I'll be departing Dodson's boatyard in Stonington, CT first thing in the AM, and with snow and restricted visibility in the forecast for LIS tomorrow and tomorrow night, rest assured I'll be quite content to know precisely where I am every mile of the way...
Bring your ice chipper and a pail of sand to throw on the deck
Old 11-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We stayed in Stonington anchored and on a mooring for 3 nights on our trip last year to NE and the Sound. Dotsons is first rate. I'd love to know what wax the use on the Morrises and other boats there. We brought home 10 bags of scallops from the frozen seafood scallop place there.

Safe journey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-27-2012

No bet here Minnie. Nothing found will take away from Walbrifges responsibility. It will just maybe add other causitive factors to the events of the day or days.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-27-2012

Quote:
I don’t know, I’d hardly describe the NE Providence Channel as “shallow”, Dave… Don’t have a chart handy at the moment, but I’m gonna guess it probably averages somewhere between a mile or two deep, for most of the 40 miles or so between the tip of Great Abaco and N Eleuthera… If he’d run for the shelter of Spanish Wells, or Hole in the Wall or Sandy Point, he probably wouldn’t have come on soundings again until being in the lee of Royal Island, or Great Abaco, or whatever other option he might have chosen

I understand that John. I have been there few times myself. I would have stayed out just the same and continued southward or hove to.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 11-27-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Let's have a pool on when we might expect this report. I have a gallon of ritas that says we won't have seen it by this time next year. Anyone in?
The report will be issued shortly after the administration's report on the Benghazi attack.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 11-27-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised there has been no information on the actual material specs. on the Bounty replica/prop/disposable. I cannot imagine that the quality of the materials was not compromised to keep the cost down for something that was intended to be trashed after filming was done. White oak or red? Bronze or steel? Long leaf pine or white? This may be the reason she worked so much and leaked terribly.