Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

My bet is that the inquiry will find evidence that the ship was not seaworthy and that it basically leaked, became uncontrollable because the bilge was full of water, and sank. The captain, primarily, and everyone else in the corporate chain of command, would be responsible for choosing to take a ship in such condition into a hurricane, or anywhere else for that matter.
therapy23 and chef2sail like this.
Old 11-27-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Here's an optimistic prediction that we'll get the USCG report by 12 July 2013.

Probably both the condition of the ship and the decision to sail will be criticized, and there will be some recommendations, at the very least, for similar replica ships that have so far escaped a fair amount of regulation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
My bet is that the inquiry will find evidence that the ship was not seaworthy and that it basically leaked, became uncontrollable because the bilge was full of water, and sank. The captain, primarily, and everyone else in the corporate chain of command, would be responsible for choosing to take a ship in such condition into a hurricane, or anywhere else for that matter.
That's the nice thing about corporations - no-one is responsible.
xymotic and -OvO- like this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-27-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I am thinking to really "sail" that slug of a ship HMS Bounty "movie version" you may need a hurricane to get any kind of speed. Otherwise you would normally just run the twin diesels. Maybe that is why the Capt seeked to find hurricanes in which to "sail", that is what the ship required.
Old 11-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The Weather Channel is airing a documentary on Rescuing the Bounty on Dec 5th at 8pm eastern.

The the Mayan's calendar says we're done on Dec 21st and I insist the official investigation be finished before then!
therapy23 and smurphny like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The Weather Channel is airing a documentary on Rescuing the Bounty on Dec 5th at 8pm eastern.

The the Mayan's calendar says we're done on Dec 21st and I insist the official investigation be finished before then!
It has been determined the Mayan calender ends on Dec 21st because they ran out of good quality stone in which to carve the calender.
Old 11-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
It has been determined the Mayan calender ends on Dec 21st because they ran out of good quality stone in which to carve the calender.
I'm sure that's true, but don't tell the investigators. They're probably betting they don't need to wrap this up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-27-2012

Question:
When the next HMS Bounty is built for the movie "The Sinking of the Bounty" will this Bounty actually be sunk at the end of the movie, or will it be kept as a dock side attraction?
Old 11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Question:
When the next HMS Bounty is built for the movie "The Sinking of the Bounty" will this Bounty actually be sunk at the end of the movie, or will it be kept as a dock side attraction and sailed toward a hurricane 50 years later?
Thought the above amendment might drive the point even further.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 11-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The 1000 post deserves a statement:

It is not really important who got first the general picture what is important is that in the end the general opinion on this forum is pretty much consensual and that is great. I believe that this consensual position (that is similar to the one of the main professional sailing forums) will be globally the one that will be reached by the CG investigation, certainly reinforced by some missing facts that certainly will come to the light on the CG investigation. However it seems to me that the facts that we have already are enough to substantiate this consensus and to get a good idea of what have happened, not in the details but globally.
Considering the amazing level of knowledge and experience that one finds on this forum, I can't imagine any other group of mariners could come up with better conclusions.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.