SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

1974 Watkins 23

12K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Bildrrick 
#1 ·
Just bought a 1974 Watkins 23 hull #WYM00024674 and am starting to restore it to orignal specs with maybe a few extras ;) Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself - Tampa Florida Area

Joe and Brooke

#5 ·
Watkin 23 XL Refit

Hi,

My main sail has slugs. I still have to original main and Genoa for my boat. Last week on the Watkins Group I received information that they are making the Johnson sails again. That is what the original sails were on the Watkins.

We repainted our boat with Interlux Perfection paint. We rolled and tipped the paint. It turned out really nice. We are now putting the hardware back on the boat and we are going to change the bulkhead because the surface is cracked on mine. We are also fabricating some racks for the starboard side to hold the "wetbar" and the dishes.

I would suggest you join the Watkins group. It is [ The folks are really great and very helpful.

Check out my blog: theardentsailor.blogspot.com

I would be happy to exchange refit stories with you.

Regards,
gouind

#6 ·
Hey Deborah,

Nice to see you around here. Ive seen your emails on the Watkins Owners Mailing List.

I dont post much, just read, lol

I have a W23 as well, Not the XL model tho. Mine is the stripped down "sport" version.

No sink, no water holding tank, no bowspirit, etc.

#7 ·
Watkin 23 XL

Hi BigCountryEsq,

I had a W23 striped down model, no factory finish in the cabin. However the previous owner retro-fitted her with some nice shelves on the starboard side. Mine was also fitted with a bowsprit, so it was a bit confusing. Unfortunately, I had to sell my interest to a partner. That is when I bought the 23xl. If you interested in pictures let me know on the listserv and I will direct you to them.

Fair Winds,
gouind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.