Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Watkins
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shakylegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012

shakylegs is on a distinguished road
Buying a Boat on eBay

I had sold my boat in Canada, a 27 foot Catalina, during the summer of last year, and by the spring of this year I really missed owning a boat. I turned to eBay. There was a 27 foot Watkins sailboat for auction in Virginia with no minimum price set. The auction progressed, and with only a couple of days to go the bid stayed very low. Finally, as the last seconds ticked by, I jumped in - and won it for $1,100.

It was in late September when I flew to Norfolk to take possesion. I wondered, what do you get for $1,100? It was almost dark when I finally got to Southall Landings Marina in Hampton, and Earl, the dockmaster kindly helped me to get oriented, and showed me the location of the berth the boat was in. The boat looked like an orphan in the evening gloom, and when I opened the hatch boards I half expected to see water sloshing around inside - but I was lucky because the water in the bilge was just below the floorboards. I had no electrical power or lights, but I slept onboard that night. The next morning I could see the boat needed a lot of work. I have been living aboard, cleaning, sewing, painting, and varnishing, and it has started to look habitable. I plan to sail it on the ICW down to Georgia.

I have been asked my reaction to seeing the boat that first time, and I tell them: "It's not as good as I hoped, but not as bad as I feared."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Cool Beans..

I got mine on E-Bay this Fall, sight unseen (other than pictures)

Paid $750 and drove out to Washington DC to pick it up...

Pretty much same reaction...Liveable, sailable, slept in boat first night, been dreaming about sailing ever since while I clean and paint and sew...
Old 01-29-2012

shakylegs is on a distinguished road
Hello Squidd: We both had similar experiences with eBay, luckily for us they were both positive. I see you have an AMF PY26. For a while I was looking for a PY27, but could only find one, and that was for about $6,000, too much for me. So I went on the web and got the Watkins27 sight unseen.
Old 01-29-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Add me to the list! when I first saw mine I almost left it in Ga. I planned on sleeping in it, But; took a motel. In the morning it still looked ruff , I love her now though!...Dale
Where God got it done!

Tags
ebay , icw , watkins

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.