Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Watkins
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Going to look at a Watkins 27.....

Congratulations! When do you expect to make your first splash? Where will you keep her?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Good stuff!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-02-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Thanks Faster While I'm not into 'blogging', I figger I can track activities down here in the hinterlands of SN and the 'red-headed step-child' of the Watkins forum without clogging general forums.

Jim.....I expect to splash back in come the end of March/beginning April. The sooner the better! I need to do a bit of sea trial on 'er before I make the run to home port. That will be the other side of Elk Neck, up on Hance's Point in a private slip.
Hafta sand and paint the bottom, replace zinc, install alternator and set up battery system. All the usual Spring details. Once in the water, I'll install the depth sounder, (probably) replace running rigging and re-install the hatch and tiller. I *might* even run the sails up'n'down a few times! .
The "season" starts May 1 and I'd like to have most of April to prepare for the move; tho, the slip owners sez I can just show up anytime and we'll make things work. Once "home", I'll tackle the rest of the items on the list...when not pottering about the N. Bay
Old 03-30-2013

Feeling Blue!
(looking a bit blue, too ! )

I spent that past several days scraping and sanding the hull. It now sports two coats of Pettit "Sea Kote" (?) Blue ablative.. I ferget what rezactly Only took 2/3 of a gallon, to boot. Oughta do for a quick touch up next year if needed. Looks good; but showed up a few blisters and such. At least now I know where ta look for 'em next time out!

I got the droopy rub rails back on; even where there was a foot or less of bottom connection missing. It'll ride the top OK and who knows... I'll probably need new ones before the season's out anyway!

Propane is *SO* much more efficient and fast! I ended up trying to make coffee on one of those single burner Coleman fuel cookers. Wa-a-a-a-y to much trouble and time. Went to Wally World and bought a Coleman propane stove and a Coleman drip coffee maker. Now I'm set!

Fitted a new zinc to the shaft and scraped and sanded the prop. It had been painted over barnacles and more deposited over that! Next trip, Ill take the wire wheel and do 'er up right!

more to come.............

Last edited by deltaten; 03-30-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you're making progress. I sailed Miss Marisol for the first time last weekend. I still need to haul her and do a bottom job. She's in a slip 3.5 hours drive-time from my home.

I'm weighing my options right now.

1. Haul her and complete a bottom job before sailing to semi-home waters of Islamorada.
2. Sail to the Keys in two weeks. Scrape bottom as needed. Haul sometime this summer.

Advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2013

How warm an clear is the water yer in now?
I'd try ta inspect w/o pulling it out and go from there. At the first sign of deviation from the norm; by sight or feel..mebbe yank it for further inspection. How far is home port from were ya are now? Run a hand over her bottom and see how ya feel about making the run home as-is.

I have a few problem spots to take care of on the keel. Slight delamanations, I believe; but nothing that's gonna keep me out of the water Don't believe I ever herd of a boat sinking from "blisters" LOL
If there's no water to speak of in the bilge and the pump (and it's back-up) work...go for it. Insurance and a dink pretty much rule out problems

I read about yer exploits on 'Miss Marisol' and thought I had responded on/to yer post? Either way... big thumbs up, an attaboy or two and a well done added for effect!
TheWollard likes this.
Old 04-06-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
How warm an clear is the water yer in now?
It's dark brown. Not much visibility at all. Peace River, FL. Not too cold.

Since the previous owner paid for monthly diver cleaning, I'm going to sail her 160 nautical miles to a semi-home port with crystal clear water first. Then I will be able to SCUBA and really inspect my next option.

I set sail next Friday morning with my brother. We're planning 2-3 nights aboard, depending on our cruising speed/wind.

I'll be sure to update everyone, and post a Youtube video after the trip.

Old 04-07-2013

Bon Voyage, my friend!
Be sure to cross-post the antics to the user's group
Old 04-23-2013

Plopped back in the water on 04/15/13. I spent the wait-for-the tide time in the well hooking up the alternator and re-wiring the bilge pump. Backed out of the well and traversed the 100-some odd yards to the temporary slip without too much trouble. Even managed to back in without hitting anything. Given a 3 knot ebb tide and 15 knot breeze, it was no mean feat! Tying up was a bit of a chore tho!

Spent a day and a half aboard this past weekend prepping. Installed the new lines. fixed bad wiring on the auto bilge switch, hooked up and tested shore power and pulled the RW pump impeller. DC power panel is hooked in and I found I need all new bulbs; if not new fixtures for the running lights! Now searching for an impeller! Local marina sez they have one; but we need to physically compare
As we'll be moving her "home" the w/e of the 27th, I really need to get on this project. All that needs done yet is to source, purchase and install safety equipment...flares, extinguisher and horn...all else is aboard.

I wanted to see what she looked like "all dressed up"; so I ran up the sails at the dock. Ostensibly to check rigging and see if repairs were in order Sorted the primary main from spare and set the two jibs. The 85%'er looks good with the clew bridled off the deck at 4 feet maximum. The Genny is a tad too tall for the fore stay and halyard; but has a second clew near a foot up the luff. Once tacked off there, I have just enuff rope halyard left to cleat it off with the wire passing the winch. It'll do... for now.. IF I need it.

The breeze picked up just as the keel popped out of the mud bottom AND we were preparing to leave for the day. I stifled the desire to try to sail out of the slip and negotiate the slim channel to the main thoroughfare and head SW down along the Neck!
Old 04-29-2013

Made some final preps and estimations last weekend and brought her home on 04/28/13. The trip would have been near three + hours motoring. Problems with the Morse controls left us powerless at mile 3 due to a flat battery! I knocked the power back to turn back up stream to fetch the dink that went adrift.
Well! Gotta go get it...might as well run up the jib and see what's what. My partner on this expedition is well versed in all sorts of power boats; but never sailed before in his life. With him on the tiller, I ran up the 85%'er and she came about and started running DW quite nicely for a bare 3 knot breeze. I went fwd with the hook and he brought her up to windward and we had the dink retrieved in a trice.
In for a penny; in for a pound; I decided that we might as well run up the main, too. Wind was varying from the SW and WSW and we needed to follow the (generally) SW side of the Neck. Tough running that close to the wind and we managed some few yards direct travel in several tacks!
Wind shifted some to more Southerly and we were close hauled running at near 6 knots. Looking down the a little more than a mile to Turkey point, I spied the weather front moving in from the West. Remembering the adage "reef when ya think of it", I suited actions to thought and we kept on track with shortened sail. Taking a sudden gust that put us over to near 30 degrees and back upright suddenly; my buddy sez: "Mebbe we should see if the motor will start?!"

Providentially, it did start and we motored down to the Point and rounded the bend. An hour and a half of fighting the tiller to stay on course up the narrow-is channel was strenuous. Following "seas" from the tide and wind on the opposite caused the bow to fluctuate from several points off the Port to more off the Starboard. Standing in the 'pit, tiller to hip to roll with the swells; I felt at home. If only my knees and hips felt so !

My buddy brought us up to the dock and willed it in when the motor conked out 30 yards away. Amazingly; only a couple hours from low tide and she still floated at her new home! I spun her around on her keel and tied her off stern to. Other friends/wives showed up to help and celebrate. A fresh bottle of premium Jamaican rum was produced and I quietly slipped fwd to the pulpit.
Doffing my cap, I uncorked the bottle and ceremoniously dipped out a dram for Neptune, once again for lost friends and poured a liberal shot down my own gullet in salute. Gifts were showered on myself and the boat. New blue fenders. A fleece cover to match the sheet set I found in Navy Blue. A new Victorinox mariner's knife and heartfelt card with a traditional dollar enclosed.

Rain overnight and during the day today prevented much needed work; but other items were checked off..and on the to-do list.

The one thing my buddy commented most on was the way she handled crossing wakes and when inadvertently, we could not avoid taking one abeam, she rode it out without a roll or hitch!. My retort was "A displacement hull and 3500# of keel tend to stabilize.. don't it!?"
He pronounced her quite comfortable and sea-friendly. High praise from a (big) power boater! During our couple hours under sail, he commented on how peaceful it was; just lapping along at 1 to 5 knots with only the wind to accompany the hull sounds.
He was sooo right!
He *did* express some concern that a friend had presented me with the boat's mascot... an 18 inch plush stuffed Wile E. Coyote..who was dutifully strapped to the mast before we pulled out. With Wile E. being the icon of mishap, he felt it tempting fate. I responded with the double negative make a positive comment since this was my first trip out and I was *sure* to screw up....so it was all good!
Next trip up the mast, Wile E. will be stood on the spreaders and fixed facing fwd..ala Bill Murray in "What About Bob?" shouting...

"I'm SAILING!"
bljones and jimgo like this.

Last edited by deltaten; 04-29-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.