Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Going to look at a Watkins 27.....

Sounds like fun! Congratulations!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Another long weekend aboard.
Found out what the electric problem was. A constant hot was used on the key switch for the glow plugs, causing a terrible drain on the battery and making the alternator groan under the extreme, constant load. Once running, I heated it up and changed the oil and filter. Post oil change, I added a separate switch for the plug heater. Trying to source a real diesel ign sw.

Re-energized all circuits and found all the bulbs burned out and a lot of the cobbled wiring connections toasted. Replaced/repaired some and now have LED lites installed in the cabin fixtures. Cleaned the nasty bilge and some of the topsides. Looks lie it is a "bone/almond" white..not "whtie white" !

Need a new head..cracked bowl as well as all the seals and gaskets shot. Might as well buy a new one for all that. Picked up a fitting for the defunct fresh water tankage, as well as new hose from tank to pump.

Always more to do!
Old 05-21-2013

Much new to report. Spent the past two weekends working aboard without cracking a sail!
I found that the "as-new/mfgr refurb" smart charger purchased was defunct and drawing down the new battery. The Interstate dealer deep charged the bat and pronounced it intact and fine. The factory rep said the charger was definitely bad and to replace it. The purveyor of said charger balked a bit about the one day over warranty; but ended up coming thru with a new unit; still to arrive.

Last trip I, discovered a severe crack in the bowl of the head. I decided to replace rather than repair and so ordered a new JABSCO via E-Bay for only $155 delivered! Installation should have been a quick swap-out; but the corroded lag screws had other plans for me. An hour and several Dremel slicer discs later; the new one was in and operating.

The premier event of the w/e was the installation of the new folding table hanger cabinet. I laid it out and measured last weekend and during the week, spent about 8 hours total assembling the shelves and carcass. A bit of teak stain and she's good-to-go. Clearing out the cabin to make room to work was a challenge! Once cleared, I test fitted the unit and found the top port corner was tight due to cabin top and side curve. A few minutes with the plane soon trimmed it to fit. Eight zip-screws and she was in! Re-hinging the table tops was a circus of flip/flop/turn/try. Once settled and the hinges refastened, it was done. I affixed the hinged gate leg....amazingly the right length at first whack w/o needing a trim or padding! and VOILA! Seating for four that folds away into it's own shelf and hides he vid screen (yet to be added), guards the glassware and coffee cups and stows the adult beverages, charting tools and books.

The one old fella that lives at the slips is a part time sign maker. As a "welcome aboard" gift, he ginned up a new name vinyl and home port sticky. An hour or so of picking a matching (almost) font and a quick cut/print, it was done. Old sign painter's "ink" is sure hard ta remove! Only a couple spots peeked out from under the new vinyl, so I elected to sand and buff off the offending remnants. Affixing the new lettering straight was an interesting chore from the RIB bobbing about. Cut from bits'n'bobs of leftover material; I was astounded to find the blue was a perfect match for the original Watkins Navy blue! Now to replicate the sheer stripe logo

I ascended the mast half way to suss out the non functioning mast-head light. I "chickened out" and used an extension ladder that *just* made the spreader bars. Lashed well at the base and top, I only had to remind the the friend aboard to stay put! The bulb was good and the fixture was useable. Seems there's and interruption in power somewhere along the way to the mast! A complete re-wire is probably easier then trying to track down the break. Next weekend! Port/Starboard fwd running lites are now working; but the flip-about part of my multi-funtion screwdriver is now in Davey Jones' possession. Use it in good health Davey!

Always more to do!
Paul

Last edited by deltaten; 05-21-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Periodic donations to Davey are a common thread that binds sailors together. Be thankful no blood was needed this time.
Old 05-21-2013

Magnet onna string is going along this coming weekend. Davey won't mind iff'n I borrow it back for a while It's only in about 4 feet of water onna sand bottom. Should be retrievable.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx0bh5f2gx...124416_345.jpg new graphics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfmj7rnniv...134941_164.jpg Table up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wf1hnnd24n...135028_997.jpg Table down and flipped open

Last edited by deltaten; 05-21-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: adding pix links
Old 05-30-2013

Master Jones got a permanent loan of a screwdriver. No amount of dragging the bottom returned a tool

The Memorial Day weekend was good. Spent most of it doing remodel/repairs and set-up. Got the [temporary?] shelf in for the fridge/microwave..jst to get a feel for how it works out. Made up proper deck/sole access hatch covers from 3/4" ply. Installed the new batt charger...Hoo-raay it works ! Installed the shelves in the wall unit and fastened the stop and catch.
Best of all.... broke out the sails and went out!
Caught the rising tide and motored up river to McDaniel's mooring field. Once well past, idled while raising the sails and caught the sklight breeze and proceeded to tack to and fro, making better knots and longer reaches as the river widened and I gained confidence and 'feel' for her. Ended up in mid channel S. of Jackson's near the entry to Cara Cove. Wind astern, I rigged o the sails "wing-on-wing" by using my new boat hook/painter's pole as a spinny pole . Took her a tad N. of the entry and dropped and stowed sails and (wheew! it started!)motored in. Din't crash the dock, run aground or smash anyone's boat...so all was a succedss.

Only odd happenstance was the 20 degree list acquired overnite with the receeding tide of unusual amount. Bent the floater dock some and squished the 4 and 6 inch fenders. Since replaced with donated 12 inchers
Old 08-02-2013

Wow! Where'd two months go?! ')
I suppose spending nearly every weekend aboard has left my internal calendar a bit confused. Barely managing to be home 3 days a week takes the term "weekend" to new dimensions.
Most of the (minor) issues with the boat have been addressed. Notice I *didn't* say completed!
THe short, 85% jib is working well. I took advantage of a few trim tips and the main is shaped better and puling like it should be. I flew the Genny last weekend and found just how difficult it is to run it alone.Ended up pulling it down and swapping into the short jib, then making a near 5 knot beam reach at nearly 5 knots with a bit of heel. Let the main out some to reduce heel and calm the First Mate andstill made 4.2 knots. Fast enuff for me at this point. I'll save the Genny for steadier and lighter breezes.
Still having some troubles with the transmission controls. The Teleflex wants to slip out of the clamp at the shifter often; regardless of how tight I make the bolts! I'm loathe to make anymore permanent repairs, as I'm going to change out and move the throttle/shifter to the cabin bulkhead. Still trying to find inexpensive controls to work with.
The wall unit I made-up for the drop table and shelves has worked out perfectly! Having been in use for the past two months, it is the most useful change ,,,to date

Projects completed, or nearly so:
Access hatch covers under the settee cushions, some varnished, some not yet
Sole bilge hatch and access covers fitted and urethaned.
Engine compartment hatch made-up, insulated, stained and finished. Quite a bit quieter aboard when motoring now.
All the running lites are functional, soon to be converted to LED
LED replacement bulb strips in the original interior lite fixtures
New, replacement charger installed and operating at recommended levels to maintain the 180 A/H battery
New lettering astern with the proper home port listed
New sheer stripe in vinyl tape tp match lettering and Company logo/name added back to the end of the stripe. enuff ape left to do lower stripe once on the hard.
New white safety lines run in stanchions.
Bits'n'bobs of deck areas sanded, compounded and polished
Teak oiled.

mo' later
Old 08-03-2013

Lostmt is on a distinguished road

I have a question for you if you don't mind. I have a 1978 27 Watkins with a bad compression post. Would it be possible for you to measure yours and let me know. I made a post yesterday over on the Watkins forum but no replies. Thanks David

S/V Miss Sadie
1978 Watkins 27
Middle Texas Coast
Old 09-14-2013

Wow! Missed this post, big time! Did see ya over any Watkins be tho
If needs be, I' all get some numbers from mine. LMK via pm or mail.
Best,
Paul
Old 09-14-2013

Lostmt is on a distinguished road

Paul that's ok I got her done. Photos over on Watkins Group.

S/V Miss Sadie
1978 Watkins 27
Middle Texas Coast

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.