Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Watkins
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Help with 1979 Watkins 27 diesel ID

I looked at a pretty nice 1979 Watkins 27 today. Everything seems to be there except the diesel. Original was removed a couple owners ago. Current owner says it was a Yanmar but had no idea which model. Current owner also confirms that drive shaft and propeller still in place. Looking to be an ICW cruiser, I would prefer an inboard diesel. But a new one is way beyond logical for a boat I will pick up fairly cheaply. So I have done some initial searching around on the Net for a cheap used Yanmar that I can either install or rebuild and install. Operating under the theory that it would be easiest if I can find something that is same footprint as original, I need to figure out what the original Yanmar was. Can any 1979 Watkins 27 owners tell me which Yanmar was in the boat originally. Once I have the right model number it would be helpful if people could advise me on finding a used or rebuildable unit. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Help with 1979 Watkins 27 diesel ID

Try here;
Watkins* Owners Home Page
Site is a repository of data on the Watkins Yacht products. Stock was (supposedly) a Yanmar 8 h.p.; but lots were changed out and some upgraded at conception.

There are some nice little diesels out there; but ya gotta search for the right price/condition. I've seen some in my searches for less than $1800 that needed a little work (?) to over $3500 for an advertised as 'fresh rebuilt'

I lucked into a 75 hr. Beta20 last month with a complete W-27 around it!
Join us at watkins : watkinssailboats
I found mine via Craig's List, of all places!

While some will offer advice to just hang an OB offa the back; a squat, beamy 7500 lbs of boat is a lot ta push from of a transom mount...if ya expect to do anything but motor in and outta a slip... IMHO. What's a 25 horse, long-shaft gonna cost, then add reinforcement and a good tip up mount, a winch and rig to lift it, etc.??? Compared to a self-installed used/rebuilt? No contest, IMHO

Welcome to SailNet and the Watkins World

Last edited by deltaten; 12-28-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
I looked at a pretty nice 1979 Watkins 27 today. Everything seems to be there except the diesel. Original was removed a couple owners ago. Current owner says it was a Yanmar but had no idea which model. Current owner also confirms that drive shaft and propeller still in place. Looking to be an ICW cruiser, I would prefer an inboard diesel. But a new one is way beyond logical for a boat I will pick up fairly cheaply. So I have done some initial searching around on the Net for a cheap used Yanmar that I can either install or rebuild and install. Operating under the theory that it would be easiest if I can find something that is same footprint as original, I need to figure out what the original Yanmar was. Can any 1979 Watkins 27 owners tell me which Yanmar was in the boat originally. Once I have the right model number it would be helpful if people could advise me on finding a used or rebuildable unit. Thanks all.
Unless the guy is giving you this boat for FREE take this advice......... Find another boat! This is far too good a buyers market to be buying a basket case fixer upper that requires a diesel engine. You can find better boats ready to go. Again, a Watkins 27, without an engine, is a FREE boat not one you buy..... Anything more than a hand shake is paying too much for that vessel in this market..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-28-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Make sure you think this through and as part of your thinking you should seriously consider Maine's advice to find another boat.

You need to remember that you don't install an engine---you install a propulsion system. The propulsion system includes a fuel system/cooling system/exhaust system/instrumentation system/controls system/electrical system and shaft system including the prop. Are the components of all these systems in place and in working order? Fuel tank and fuel filters? water filters? control cables? starting battery? exhaust piping and muffler? shaft log and bearing? propeller? instrument panel? Associated valves/piping/wiring?

Making these systems operational and reliable by restoration or re-installation is a major expense. I just completed a complete restoration of a 27 footer whose engine and associated systems were all beyond salvage except for the shaft and prop. Even with a "free" engine that I had sitting in my shop and doing all the work myself the installation cost about four grand.
Old 12-29-2012

Thanks folks... the input is helpful. I was hesitant before reading responses. After reading I am quite reluctant to move ahead with this bot. I do like the Watkins 27 for its shoal draft and diesel power. That would fit my Charleston and ICW waters well. But I am not looking for a never-ending project. So the search continues. Tough to be patient in a water environment where you can boat/sail all year.
Old 12-31-2012

"never-ending project"?????

You just described a sailboat!

IF...and it's a huge *if*... you like the Watkins for what it is; then a re-power *might* be on order. IF (once again, the caveat) what you seek is simply a 27 foot shoal draft with a diesel....there's lotsa 'em out there. Only you can decide what the trade-offs are.

Best!
Old 12-31-2012

haha! Yep you are right. My background is stronger with the RV lifestyle. So the ongoing state of projects/upgrades is someting I am aware of and enjoy. I am not an expert at anything mechanical, electrical, or structural but I am fairly DIY experienced and able.

In terms of the Watkins, I still like the boats. Especially the 27s but I am now searching for a newer example with healthy diesel. Have located a few and trying now to figure out how to travel a bit to see them.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

My suggestion...don't limit yourself to just Watkins. There's lots of boats out there that can suit your needs.
Obviously, I'm partial to Catalina, but there are way more C-27's out there, many with diesels and shoal draft. For a few dollars more, the step up to a C-30 offers a lot more boat than a 27.
Old 01-08-2013

r:

Didja ever get this sorted? I see ya posted over on the WO feed/group just been wonderin'

Last edited by deltaten; 01-18-2013 at 10:56 PM.