SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hard Dodger for Hood 38

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  bigal.nz 
#1 ·
We are thinking of replacing our existing dodger with one of the hard kind. Does anybody have any experience with this? Recommendations, pictures, price points?

Thank You,

Stefan Balbo
Hood 38 Mk 2
Persephone

#2 ·
We built ours from ply and fiberglass...it was a really big job and came out quite heavy.

I would probably use another core material if it was available...like foam.

I did go a bit over the top with the glass as well, but I needed to be able to stand/dance on it.

Attachments

#6 ·
One reason for being that thick is I needed to be able to hide a wire chase for a light within the roof...another reason was that here in Lebanon I couldn’t get quality ply any thinner...now I can get 12mm, but not then.

Making the handles was a big job but a lot of fun…thanks.

#10 · (Edited)
Absolutely love our hard dodger. First time I’ve had one and it’s the best thing ever.
Do it in foam. We used divynicell. If to do over would use corecell. We climb on it so have some minor stress cracks in the underneath because of that. If we had builder put in a bit more camber that wouldn’t have occurred.
Measure sight lines and make sure height is right. You want the tallest person usually on the boat to get in/out of companionway without needing to bend much if at all. But want that person to be able to see over the dodger and the smallest usual person to easily see through it.
May sure you incorporate a drip edge so with the insert between the dodger and bimini the seats of the cockpit stay dry.
We put 1” ss rail along the back as well as the side to serve as hand holds. I frequently clip on the one on the back. Then have full access to the winches and clutches throughout the cockpit without needing to unclip nor get tangled in the tether. So it’s a great handhold while standing watch.
We did put in a UV blocking film between the glass but no tint. Builder wanted tint but wanted the better night vision no tint provides. Non of the heavy glass panels open so with the hatches closed can have the decks awash with no leaks.
The reef lines, vang, topping lift and halyards come through the bottom edge but dump our lines there so trivial water comes in and just drains to the side and then the lateral gutter on the seats keeping you dry.
We also stuck lapolights(red and white) underneath so I can finally get crew to not wear headlamps and blind me.
Lastly put two forward opening hatches on the top as in the tropics it get hot under a dodger without them.
If you use a good core and plan to climb on it put nonskid on top. We used the same color as our top sides so it looks smart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.