SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

USCG HF Voice from Chesapeake VA (NMN)

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  aa3jy 
#1 ·
For over two months, I've been trying to get voice weather reports from the USCG in Chesapeake, VA (station NMN). I have the frequencies and times but I'm unable to receive anything. I've tried from home (Hershey PA) and from the boat (Chesapeake above Baltimore). I've done a fair amount of research and spent quite a bit of time with no results. I have a SSB receiver. I'm able to get weather faxes from Boston but no voice from a location only 200 miles away - day or night. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks much.

#2 · (Edited)
Due the present altitude and strength of the ionosphere, youre probably too close to Chesapeake VA (NMN) to receive 'signal'.
Im located in 'upper' SE PA, and NMN has been 'very sporadic'.
The most 'open' ƒ band open here presently is 5mHz. Suggest you start w/6501 and work your way higher in ƒ until you get the best reception:

ƒ UTC**
4426, 6501, 8764 kHz (USB) / 0330Z1 0515Z2 0930Z1
6501, 8764, 13089 kHz (USB) / 1115Z2 1530Z1 2130Z1 2315Z2
8764, 13089, 17314 kHz (USB) / 1715Z2
** Suffix 1 = offshore; suffix 2 = high seas

Go to HF Propagation and Solar-Terrestrial Data Website to find out the which 'frequency band' is 'best open' for your physical location, etc.

The reason for all this - there's not many active sunspots at this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.