Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Weather
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsurf View Post
We just went through our first boat hurricane prep (done enough in houses in the carib and Pacific) in the USVI. Luckily St. Thomas was spared the wrath of Dean, but the week leading up to it was tense. The boating community sure gets stressed during this time.

Some things I noticed:

The majority seem to wait until the last minute to do something. We are in the middle of storm season and the marine supply store sold tons of chain, shackles, etc. in the days before Dean. Thus, get on it early, have a plan A and B and the gear for it.

Many boats were never attended to... thus ready to become slow projectiles aimed at our boat.

Marina: We opted for an open slip in a protected mangrove lagoon. While it seemed like a good idea, it may have not worked with a Cat 3-5 storm as the pilings/docks were a wee bit shabby. Check your marina closely.

Get Off the Boat: In hurricane Marilyn (1995 VI), all of the deaths were of boaters on their boats. One guy who survived, was swept off his boat in Charlotte Amalie harbor (S side St. Thomas) and woke up on the beach on Jost Van Dyke (N of St. Thomas)... an 18 mile ride!! Concrete is our preferred bed for a storm.

Get the stuff off: Remember that you may end up with water down below... lots of it. And a cabin stuffed with sails, bimini, etc. all soaking wet is a nightmare to deal with. Ok, a soaked boat is a nightmare, but a soaking wet jib for a 40' boat can be a bear.

Mangroves: Wear serious footwear for the dance of tying to mangroves. One slip and you could be cut bad by barnacles and mangrove oysters. Plan on lots of lines to make it to healthy big branches. Plan on rats.

Many ways to go about it: There are as many ways to prep as there are old salts out there. And each is best in the right situation. Noting is perfect except getting your boat out of the belt during the season. OW, prep and hope the gear goes unused.

Fingers crossed for the rest of the season!

Cheers!
That was a very nice reply and thank you for taking the time Gilsurf. BTW, if you cut half of a 2 liter bottle and stick it over your lines (line through the hole in the bottle), you may reduce the rats that aren't swimming.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2007

737sail is on a distinguished road
did anyone mention to check your insurance policy?

....a good, current insurance policy may not protect body or boat but may provide some mental comfort....
Old 08-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
737sail has a very good point. Most insurance policies will have a section that deals specifically with named storms. If you don't follow the requirements of your policy, you may void your coverage. Also, you may find out that the insurance company will pay for the haulout or some of the costs of preparation for weathering a named storm.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-06-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
a few more hurricane/marina thoughts

If you're weathering the storm in a slip:

Make sure your mast is several feet offset from the sailboat next to you - slide a few feet forward in your slip if necessary. When the boats get to rockin', you don't want your masts to tangle.

Tie your lines to stringers or pilings, not dock cleats which can easily pull out. And make them long to account for surge - if possible go 2 or 3 slips over.

If you're spidering to cleats or winches on your boat, and have 2 or more lines on one cleat, make sure they will pull in different directions so you don't overload.

Keep your mask & snorkel handy, you won't be able to breathe in the wind and rain.

I've herard some dispute over how to face - one reliable old salt I know always goes bow-out so he can make a quick getaway if necessary. Another equally-wise one puts his bow to the expected direction of greatest wind. You know your boat & your location, make your own judgement.
Old 09-06-2007

sailing320 is on a distinguished road
I purchased Tide Slides for my slip and my boat has made it successfully with out damage thru 4 hurricanes. I would recommend this product to anyone.
Old 09-07-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Tideminder is a similar product and it costs a whole lot less.
Old 09-13-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Better bump this one up to the top.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-13-2007
Beneteau 440

gilsurf is on a distinguished road
RE Insurance: Most have a double deductible for named storms. Ours requires a hurricane plan, but they know you can do it to the T. For insurance, take lots of pictures before.
Old 09-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Tideminder is a similar product and it costs a whole lot less.
You know what else I would wager would work well? Those dog chew toys called Kongs: They have a fat hole in the middle and it takes a bull terrier two weeks to destroy them...most other dogs can't even dent them.

Old 09-13-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I'd wager that would work. The weak link in my situation is the dock itself. We had 40 kt winds roll through here last April, and an entire section sank. I could foresee the piles surviving, and even my boat surviving with the Kong tideminders -- only to have 200 linear feet of floating dock wrapped around my deck.