SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planar Heater Install advice
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 03-13-2013
Maine Sail
Super Moderator

Re: Planar Heater Install advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Or the Wallas, the quietest heater available - there is not a muffler option as it is not needed. It is designed for marine use and is not a modified truck heater. Wallas kits are sold complete with everything needed right down to fuses and hose clamps.
Yes no doubt the Wallas furnaces are quiet. I don't find them as long lived as an Espar though. Espar heaters are designed to run long term in OTR trucks and in boats. The Wallas heaters are designed for recreational use and live aboard or commercial use is not part of the design of the product. I even recall when trouble shooting one issue that the warranty specifically stated live aboard use or commercial were not covered.

I've also seen occasional instances where with low battery voltage the units won't fire up. Apparently in the the small print they seem to want 12.5V +/- in order for them to fire reliably. That can be kind of tough to do on a cruising boat.

Still the Wallas is a good unit with good support and can be a great option for recreational use. Espar and Webasto are not without issues but when installed correctly, fed clean fuel and serviced correctly they last a good long time. I would choose any of them over a cheap Russian made heater.

If I was a live aboard I would go hydronic but the FHA has a nice drying benefit...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome