SailNet Community - View Single Post - A/C circulation pump problem
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-17-2013 Thread Starter
BigLew18

A/C circulation pump problem

I recently purchased an older sailboat that has a Cruiseair split-air air conditioning system. When the circuit for the system is turned on, the SMX control panel comes on and the fan begins to blow, but no cooling water was passing through the system.

The prior owner was lacking in some maintenance issues, and as I began to trace through the plumbing system, I found the raw water strainer full of muck, so it probably starved the pump. Now I am working through the electrical system as the March circulation pump will not turn on. I removed it, flushed all tme muck out of it, and tested it out of the boat by wiring it to an outlet plug, and confirmed that the pump works. I have re-wired the circuit to the pump per manufacturer's instructions; however, the pump does not engage. The wiring diagram on the inside of the compressor cover indicates that theis model is FX7-16. I have scoured the Dometic website for troubleshooting problems without success. It appears there is a run capacitor, a start capacitor, and a start relay wired into the circuit, and my suspicion would be that the strain from the blocked circultion caused a failure in one of these items. Bt I am a novice to this and cannot confirm.

Any suggestions regarding what needs to be addressed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome