SailNet Community - View Single Post - This stuff drives me nuts....
View Single Post
post #26 of Old 06-25-2013 Thread Starter
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: This stuff drives me nuts....

I seriously doubt that this boat actually sank. All of the exterior non-sailing pictures that I have seen of the boat show her on a mooring rather than in a slip at a marina. The leak patterns show water entering through around portlights and fittings. I don't see the kind of horizontal 'waterlines' that I would expect if the boat had sunk. The mold appears to be the kind of thing you would expect if you took a boat and closed it up in a warm climate, allowed water to stand in the bilge and then don't touch the boat for a long time.

Down below, this boat looks roughly the way that my former Northstar Quarter tonner looked when I bought her. She had sat for nearly a year in Charleston without anyone being aboard. She had minimal deck leaks but in her case water had gone down her keel stepped mast and there was water in the bilge up to the bottom of the floorboards. There was teletale horizontal waterline about an inch above the floorboards, which suggested that the water had been higher but had evaporated. It took us weeks to simply clean out the mold, clean the upholstery, and put her into an acceptable condition to bring her back to Savannah. Once back in Savannah we worked on her in earnest and by the time we owned her a while, you could not tell she had ever been neglected.

I am not saying that would be the case here. She may truly have become so mold infested that clean up is not possible. Her upholstery and electronics may be shot. Her sails may be so gross that they will want replacement at some point. In the worst case, there is rot in the structural members. But then again, it may simply be a matter of cleaning her up, shampooing or replacing upholstery, caulking the leaks and having a really nice boat at below market value. Its really hard to say from half way around the world.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome