SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar hard starting question
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 08-03-2013
dem45133

Re: Yanmar hard starting question

Quote:
mark2gmtrans said "As someone with over 25 years of experience in maintaining and repairing diesel engines I recommended the use of Power Service and Lucas Oil Additives, this is because I know a whole lot more about diesel engines than most of you will ever know.
There you go again. Do you just enjoy insulting people, or just tooting your horn to make yourself feel good, or trying to convince yourself you know something? You didn't need to add the "this is because... ", maybe you do, and maybe its applicable, maybe not, but what do you gain by insulting everyone else. Your not the only one that's ever learned things in their lives.

Unless "power service" has changed (could have) it wasn't all that good in treating #2 for cold weather in the mid 80s... but then we were in what most would call severe cold... minus 30s routinely... coldest I've ever operated in was -50. PS was only good to like -20 or something in preventing gel up. What its good for on other properties I do not know. But I will not put in in my cummins. If I have to operate the Cummins in "gel territory" I'll top off with #1.

Personally, I will not run additives in oil or fuels... I've seen them cause issues with seals and linage mostly in the old school engines/systems (which many of our 20 and 30 year old boats fall into BTW). I even had a poly tank that additives somehow caused the poly to dissolve a little and totally implant itself around the fuel pump's intank filter (gasoline Dodge). It restricted the filter's flow to nothing once the fuel level dropped below a filter bypass line that protruding above the filter to about the 1/4 tank level. Took a while to figure out what was happening as above 1/4 tank it ran just fine as the pump could still get fuel.

Today's materials are more tolerant than yesterday's... (which is probably why fleets can get some of the benifits) but there are few substitutes for frequent and complete servicing.

I do know also that marketer's truly push the limits on their claims. We had a second name for our Marketing class back in my college days... its was called "Liars class". 80 or 90% of most of the claims a product will do is exaggerated or only relevant in an extremely small percentile of cases. Take this into account when you read labels... no matter who's product it is.

There are very few or no true magic pills to solve or prevent issues in any engine.

Run a good quality proven virgin oil (I do not trust reclaimed...) changed at 1/2 the manufacturer's suggested interval (I've seen the pan inside my 250,000 mile engines that were still clean enough to eat off of...), yes 1/2 the interval... its cheap insurance. Remember, there are only two reasons engine bearing surfaces wear... cold start limited oil film cushion, and micro fine dirt particulates being circulated with the oil and too small to be trapped by the filter. As time progress the concentration of these micro particles increases... especially in diesels.

Always do regular periodic maintenance on all systems, change out simple things like belts and linage at the first sign of fatigue, way before they fail... do the whole system then not just the one with the most fatigue, the rest are likely not far behind).

I also strongly recommend always installing proper monitoring gauges eyed in a sweep across the gauges every minute or two when operating (once in this habit it only takes a micro second to spot something outside its normal operating range)... its part of good operation of any piece of equipment... your boat's engine is just another piece of equipment designed for a certain duty. Redundancy on oil and temp gauges using different system types (mechanical and electronic) is also a good idea.

I believe Mark2g is mostly trained in modern designs... a lot of our old boats are old school. Keep that in mind. He'll likely deny it though.

Dave

1980 Seafarer Swiftsure 30
1978 Bayliner Buccaneer 270 (now sold and being restored in FL)
1962 SeaMac 14' Plywood Runabout, mahogany decked, with 1959 Evinrude 35 Big Twin (owned since age 17, I'm now 60)

Last edited by dem45133; 08-04-2013 at 07:51 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome