SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 33-2 Wing Keel or Pearson 34 Centerboard
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-12-2013 Thread Starter
Robcooper0767

Pearson 33-2 Wing Keel or Pearson 34 Centerboard

I'm looking at mid-80's P33-2 or P34 and, because we're on the Chesapeake, want to stay away from 5'11 Fin keels. But want a fast, response boat too.
Don't see PHRF for winged 33-2.
I have a P30 with 5' draft and sometimes that depth can get a bit dicey. Would love to have a Pearson 10M because I like the look and inside layout (head, with toilet and sink vs P30 and P32 layout.
1. P34 with Centerboard? Pros and cons? Can't do the 5'11 full keel. Is this just a P30 on steriods (especially wrt the interior?) (I like the aft head in the 33-2 for room and placement)
2. P33-2 with winged keel or Centerboard.....who's faster? Is hull cored or solid? I thought I read that some were solid, some cored....anyone have details, like year or hull numbers if they switched? Any concerns or problems with cored hulls on Pearsons.
That said, I'm looking at C&C (yes, cored) with C/B, shoal, wing. Like the C&C 38LF (big boat!, no one says it's fast but PHRF is in the high 130's......Hmmm).
Looking at Tartan (only Masthead sloops, don't want fractional. 34's are nice, 37's are wow!, but......
Want to stay below 40k, would like 30's, would love 20's!
Even looking at C34 and C36 wings, Centerboarders (I'm looking at so many boats, I think Catalina has centerboarders, maybe it's shoal)
Also, looking at Sabres, but price points are high, and, yes, very well built, but kind of old style interior (nicer P30 on steriods)...like the Sabre 34's, but the MkII's with the aft head are Way over my dollar value.
King for a day would be the Pearson 10M......if it only had a different keel!!!!

Bottom line: Like the Sparkman and Stephens "look". Sleek, fast looking, nice angles. Not so much on the square boats. But, with the Admiral and a 4 year old, need a good size cockpit, good creature comforts below, want some speed and fun....in other words, where is that PERFECT Boat???!!!

Thanks for any/all help.
R

Best Regards, Rob
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome