The only thing I had to buy for this project was some low density filler to add to some epoxy. So I spent around $14 just for this project. Sandpaper, varnish, mineral spirits, scraper, were already on hand.
The handle end of my tiller had split apart and varnish had failed so it was not looking very good. I had to remove a couple small dowel rods by the handle, scrape off the old varnish, filled the split with epoxy, then sanded with 80 grit, to 100 and 220. Between coats of varnish, I used 220 to rough it up for the next coat. The varnish I used is Epifanes Gloss Clear
that I have used previously on a couple handrails.
Here's some pictures of this project.
Larger pictures can be found on the write up I did for my blog: Rhapsody: Tiller Time
I really like how it came out. I'm looking forward to how it will look back on the boat this next season.