SailNet Community - View Single Post - Painting with 2-part polyurethane
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 03-17-2002
thomasstone

Painting with 2-part polyurethane

I think no matter what you use , I agree priming and sanding is key. If I would have known how well it fills in I could haved saved alot of time sanding.Brightside poly is a very good product when I bought my boat there was a can of it on thier already and I just slapped it on and it still looks okay.Paulk, I think no matter what you would have used on a test patch it would have worn off. I am on the hard right now and alot of people are re-painting thier boats with different ideas of "doing it right."The commercial fishing boats slapp on what ever is on sale, usually a pre-mixed poly.The thinking is no matter what they use it is going to need to be re-done every couple of years anyways regardless if they use a two part or a pre mix. The guy on the side of me his idea of doing it right is a zillion coats of primer followed by endless sanding in between coats, then letting the yard spray a two part poly in thier climate controlled ware house.This time for me my idea of doing it right is removing all of my deck fittings sanding priming then using a two part poly( awl- grip) on my decks and cabin top I will use a pre mix poly (brightside) on my hull since the other guy on the otherside of me his Idea of doing it right was spraying brightside poly and he gave me an extra gallon.
thomas

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome