SailNet Community - View Single Post - composting toilet-should we do it
View Single Post
post #50 of Old 02-22-2014
amelia

Re: composting toilet-should we do it

Hmmm. Guess I could try again to address Minne's concerns, this time in English?
See paragraphs 2 and 3 above?
We have not experienced severe illness aboard our boat, and our experiences so far have not caused us undue hardship. The shape of the bowl (excuse me while I repeat myself) directs effluent directly into a plastic bucket or a plastic disposable gallon jug. That big opening is less susceptible to the greatly feared skid marks than a flush toilet, and in the unlikely event, there is that spray bottle that most grownups can master. So here is the theory for the attack of cholera. Hang on, it is pretty technical.If the plastic gallon pee jug becomes soiled, we throw it away and replace it with another recycled milk jug. If the plastic five-gallon bucket becomes soiled or soaked such that a few handfuls of extra peat cannot deal adequately with it, we dump the bucket contents into a trash bag, seal it securely, and if the bucket is somehow terribly soiled, we can tie a line around the bale, and toss the bucket over the side to rinse it off, just like people do with nasty pumpout hoses. Or we could take a hose and wash it just like spraying off the deck. Not exactly rocket surgery. Then we replace the fiber medium with fresh stuff. Probably takes all of five minutes. See there? Not a big dramatic deal after all. Nothing nearly as exciting as repairing a snarled mascerator.

Last edited by amelia; 02-22-2014 at 12:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to amelia For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-22-2014)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome