SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who knows the Beneteau First 41s5???
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 05-13-2002
tsenator

Who knows the Beneteau First 41s5???

Now I expect to see a lively discussion on this. Since you said the magical word "circumnavigation" then I would accept comments from people critical of certain boats. But in this case the extra scrutiny is warranted, not so much because the boats are bad, but rather not as well designed for being days or weeks from port. Just things like tankage or storage are important items. Or available sea berths or how the boat is set up below. Lots of open space for liveaboards, might not be desirable when having to get around down below when its rough weather for days on end. It might tend to tire out the crew. Though I know many people that sail the oceans in these types of boats and never have a problem. A lot has to do with seamanship and planning.

For the price you are looking at its going to tend to be a much older boat, so it is critical that whatever you end up getting that you get a very good surveyor and let him know your intended use of the boat. That will allow him to keep an open eye to whatever might be "lacking" in the boat. With all that said, I would personally tend to look for a more conservative underbody and a hull/keel that could take some abuse. Many world cruisers end up one time or another aground or on a reef (even the best of them) and having a real solid keel gave them some comfort. (Think Pacific Seacraft Crealock type boats). I know Jim H. will disagree with me on this, but in this case I think more conservative is probably the way to go. Maybe if you had a lot more money you could afford a more modern hull/keel that was so well made that it could handle getting caught on a reef and still be a very fast design.

Maybe the best thing is the get the Beneteau for liveaboard now and keep looking for your "world cruiser" if you are not totally comfortable with it.. I saw a 1986 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37 for sale for $110k so I bet you could find something when you wanted to.....ps. remember to budget extra money to get any boat fitted out for world cruising.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome