SailNet Community - View Single Post - UHMW as winch pad...other applications?
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 07-04-2007 Thread Starter
geste

Uhmw

Thanks for your replies. I am fairly motivated to look at using more UHMW as it seems like I am getting lazier and lazier, and UHMW cleans up real well. Standing around with a pressure washer is my idea of "real work". I have done some fiberglass work (like an improvement of a mast step) but, not being somebody who can do gelcoat, I was eventually disappointed by the durability of the epoxy paints I used to finish those.

I find UHMW very easy to work with, even if a bit messy if hitting it with a router or power planer. I machined a little custom saddle/collar to hold the base of a radar mast. Great. And I built a 1-inch thick adapter plate to let me fit a new Raritan head in place of the original Groco.

Now, rather than get hung up on sealants. I think I will start exporting the gasket route. In some respects, easier than figuring out when the sealant has cured enough to allow a bity more tightening. And less messy.

This may be part of a trend. I am starting to think about how to get rid of most of my teak.

Jim

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome