SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Benefits of Bottom Feeding
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 04-04-2014
titustiger27
arrgh!

Dock
Re: The Benefits of Bottom Feeding

I am so far from affording a new boat... in the size and quality that I would want....

One thing about realizing you are not God's gift to women is for us average guys it isn't a sudden realization

There are lots of reasons for buying a new boat, but I can not think of any of them that would work for me.

One of the main ones is the fact that depreciation isn't just on the boat.

Boats I am looking at is under 20'. I haven't really priced out new ones much but to know that a 1980 boat is good enough and won't cost me $18,000.. so I am not sure about this... but if I was to buy a 1980 O'Day Daysailer I could get it with trailer and sails for around $2,000 (some more, some less)...

The trailer is used, but would fit my need and way cheaper than a new one.. On the O'day site boat is $12,400.00, plus $2,100.00 for sails... new sails are the price of a (very) used boat...trailer is $1,250.00... a motor bracket is $350 which is moot since I don't want to register the boat (so not looking for a motor)... but with a used boat that might be a free extra.

One of the difference and it is sketchy. Some used boats are very well cared for... sometimes all new rigging and the owner dies..

in directly one of the problems with new, is everything has a price, unless a dealer has some package for you that includes Rollerfurling and anchor..

One thing the first post doesn't mention is, a used boat might need a little work, but that work might be a nice little hobby activity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome