SailNet Community - View Single Post - Convert "wifi only" iPad to backup chartplotter?
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 04-14-2014
TomMaine

Re: Convert "wifi only" iPad to backup chartplotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
I know the information is on our site, but I just can't seem to put it all together.

We are going from Chesapeake Bay to Bermuda and would like to use an iPad as a backup chart plotter. Here is my thinking:

I will download the appropriate/available NOAA raster charts.

With "wifi only" ipad 3, I know that I will need an exterior GPS with Bluetooth and an app to manage the charts.

What combination of GPS and app have you used successfully for an iPad 3 with "wifi only?"

Thanks for any help.
I used an Ipad 2 wifi only, last season as a backup CP. I love it! I used the Garmin Glo external antenna. That stayed in the chart drawer below the glass decks and gave a perfect signal anywhere onboard.

I added another 12DC plug nearby, will pick up a dual USB charger, and that takes care of charging issues. These take very little juice, I find.

I used Garmin Bluecharts nav. app(30.00 East Coast Caribbean) and like that as well. The Active Captain addition, my first real use, was very handy.

The only problem I had was the ipad freezing a couple times. I still don't know exactly why, but I think it may have something to do with the tracking or something. EAsy enough to reset(it's a back up to the onboard CP) until I figure it out.

I've added an iphone 5c to my CP's(it's always on me), so I'm pretty much paperless in the chart drawer. I may install a different nav. app in the phone.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomMaine For This Useful Post:
mrmac (04-14-2014)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome