SailNet Community - View Single Post - A lesser known gale prediction trick
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-19-2014 Thread Starter
MedSailor
Closet Powerboater

A lesser known gale prediction trick

I don't know if I've actually read, or heard this anywhere, but I have an observation that I make from time to time that I find is very accurate in predicting gales.

When the weather is reasonably calm, or somewhat windy (doesn't have to be dead calm like "the calm before the storm") if you see a large number of seagulls milling about inland in open, flat areas, you're in for a pounding.

I learned this trick in a rural school in Australia that I attended which was near some waterways. The school has big grassy sports fields and I was usually looking out the window. Periodically, I'd see lots of seagulls milling about on the cricket pitch (open grassy field) looking bored.

Being from the PNW, I know that these white/grey flying rats are usually out and about looking for food. Milling about out in the open, where they can't find food and appear vulnerable seemed like odd seagull behavior to me. I started to notice that a few hours after observing these behavious there would be a huge windstorm.

2 days ago, the wind was predicted to be 15-25, but I thought it would be higher. I even put on my BFS T-shirt hoping for some photos of a BFS and sure enough, an unforecast gale appeared.

See the story and photos here: MedSailor's BFS

Today, while at home, we're getting pounded again by another wind storm and this morning the seagulls were inland again milling about the school yard.

Anyone else know of this trick?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (04-21-2014)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome