SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repowering - Newer engine models
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter
SailRedemption
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

Repowering - Newer engine models

I'm repowering my Kaufman 47, it's 30-35k lbs. It had a old Volkswagen Pathfinder 75hp diesel in it that doesn't work in it.

I was leaning towards a new cummins 4b 3.3 which is 65hp but have been hearing they are known to vibrate ridiculously. But it's ready to go at $10k. Now I'm looking at a new Yanmar 4HJ4-TE which is rated for 75hp. Going to call about price on that one tomorrow. Then I am hesitant to possibly get a new Perkins M92B which is rated for 85hp. Now the Perkins is a more hp than I need but they don't offer anything smaller unless I go with a remanufactured engine from TAD and the hp would be too low at 55hp.

So I'm stuck in this conundrum on where to turn. I'm leaning mostly to Yanmar at the moment but I'm not sure if I'm over thinking the high rpm and turbo of the Yanmar or its something to be concerned with. I have looked online and here for threads about these newer engines but it seems that there isn't much information on them. Everything is usually about the older models from a decade or more ago...

Does anyone have any recent comments on these newer engines? Experience?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome