SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repowering - Newer engine models
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter
SailRedemption
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

Re: Repowering - Newer engine models

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Why dos the pathfinder not work? Some don't like them because of the timing belt, but as long as you maintain them it should be good. Seems like you should be able to get a replacement motor and swap over the marinizing bits. Lots of folks seem to diss pathfinder, but others love theirs.

Check out these guys as they get some good new motors in every now and then.

VW Parts, VW Diesel Parts, VW TDI Parts @ Parts Place Inc.

I used to keep there catalog in my glove box when I drove a Vanagon.

Most people say to expect to pay as much as the motor/transmission in miscellaneous parts and machine shop work, even if doing the work yourself. So while a new VW motor may not save that much over a Cummins or Yanmar at least you know the other stuff will fit.
It is missing some pieces as far as we know.. It turns over but we can't get the injection pump to spit fuel. We need a manual. But the main reason I'm not going to go back with that is because it's an ancient engine, that has a timing belt Achilles heel and the parts network is one distributor(one in Canada as far as I know) away from nonexistent. I would like to get a new engine so I know where I stand with it. And there isn't anything to fit on the newer engines because I took it all out.

So I'm just asking about the actual engines that are being sold new now from Yanmar, Perkins, and Cummins..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome