SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ripped the Mainsail
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 08-07-2007
RichH

You can use 3M 5200 FAST CURE if you have similar dacron nfor the strip=patches and this will need NO oversewing. 5200 FAST CURE will cure totally within 24 hrs. The downside with this sort of patch is if the alignment of the original cloth is not 'perfect' and since 3M5200 FAST CURE is permanent and subsequent patching repairs will be more difficult and will require a sectional repair. If your current rip is in the center of a panel there will be NO problem when patching with 5200; however, if the rip is near a seam (that is broadseamed), then you probably need to stitch the repair.

BTW.... when I make a sail I usually use an adhesive tape that sets up almost as strong as 5200 and then overstitch the seam. Many laminate sails and spinnakers nowadays are simply glued together using double sided (PECO, etc. adhesive tape) and without stitching on the panel-panel seams at all.

I used to lug-around a heavy sewing machine when on long passages, etc., now, I simply take along several tubes of FAST CURE 5200, etc. When using FAST CURE 5200 on a sail be sure to apply it 'thin' and use masking tape on the adjacent dacron material so you dont make a 'mess'.

The adhesive on the 'kit' rep-air sold at WEST, etc. isnt that permanent, will 'creep' and come loose when the sail is wet and under load .... and you will risk furether tearing the sail if adverse loading is encountered on the panel. So, adhesive repair tape is so-so OK for the middle sections of a sail but anywhere on the stress loaded areas - leech, luff and foot, you will probably be very disappointed.

If you are 'handy' you can use FC 5200; alternately small repairs near the stress loaded 'edges' of a sail usually need some 'care' and a sailmaker will take little time to make an 'edge' repair (machine sewn and repair patches correctly aligned with component thread orientation (warp and weft) of the original woven material.

:-)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome