SailNet Community - View Single Post - Control lines for Lewmar traveller size 2
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 04-23-2014
Stumble

Re: Control lines for Lewmar traveller size 2

A couple of things...

1) the biggest issue with traveler lines is that they twist inside the blocks. Any single braid is far less suseptable to this than any double braid. Since the core and cover can start to twist inside each other leading to hockles. Salsa is one of many single braids that works fine to control this.

2) the second biggest issue is that the cover can get hung up and pushed down the core. Causing fattening of the line (another reason to not use double braid.

There are a lot of good single braid lines on the market that will work. Since a traveler typically only has very moderate tension there is no need for high tech stuff like dyneema or salsa. Things like Tenex work fine at much lower prices. That being said I have amsteel traveler lines since it was in my bag when I went to replace the traveler last time and I was too lazy to replace it after it was on.

Dyneema is slippery stuff, but it works fine in cam cleats. At least in low load applications like travelers. I wouldn't trust a jib sheet to a cam alone.

Greg

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome