SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this a realistic plan?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-14-2002 Thread Starter
herrbean

Is this a realistic plan?

Next spring I''m going to be graduating from college, and since I feel like taking a bit of a break before going out and getting a job, I''ve been thinking about buying a boat and sailing around the Caribbean for a year or so.

Now, because I will have just graduated from college, I''m going to be on a fairly tight budget, as will be most if not all of the people that are going. Because of this, for the boat purchase I have been thinking of somewhere around six thousand dollars per person, and an additional one and a half thousand per person for upgrades and maintenance after the purchase. Since I''m not sure how many people are really going to go (everyone I have talked to or asked about going has said they want to, but its difficult to tell how serious people are until the time comes for them to pay up), I''ve been thinking that with up to four people we would get a boat somewhere up to 35 feet long, if there are more than four people than we''ll get two smaller boats. This is because it seems that as the hull length increases, the price and maintenance costs increase exponentially. The biggest problem that I see at this point, as far as the boat purchase goes, is the seaworthiness of a boat in this price range. I''m not particularly concerned about having a luxurious boat, so I''m hoping that that might enable more of the money to be devoted to buying a good strong boat. In addition, if you know of any models that would make good candidates, feel free to suggest them.

Many thanks in advance.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome