SailNet Community - View Single Post - N00b on deck
Thread: N00b on deck
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 05-13-2014
MSN2Travelers
Badger Sailor

Thumbs up Re: N00b on deck

If you have the funds to do so, this would be a good time to see if spending time (a week) on a sailboat is something your wife would enjoy. Consider having the two of you going to a live-aboard sailing school. I'm sure that you will have quite a few to choose from in your area.

I offer the following as an example of what I'm talking about: San Juan Sailing School

We had our trailerable for a couple years, doing day sailing, and started to look ahead to the day when we would do longer cruises. I had already had formal training but my wife was essentially dock line qualified. We booked with SJS and used it to send my wife to school (without me being the teacher) and give myself a refresher course. It was a great vacation for the two of us, exposed us to sailing conditions we would never see on the Great Lakes (tides & tidal currents) and gave us a feel for the largest boat that we felt comfortable sailing on our own.

Additionally, see if there is a university near you with a sailing club. They typically will offer "formal" sailing lessons. Also look for a local community sailing center that offers formal instruction too. This is ours: Milwaukee Community Sailing Center

Enjoy!

Paul
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes

Last edited by MSN2Travelers; 05-13-2014 at 03:23 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome