SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hi, new to sailing just bought a boat... (Chicago Burbs)
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 05-16-2014 Thread Starter
pirateexplorer

Re: Hi, new to sailing just bought a boat... (Chicago Burbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
what about that big ol' lake to the east

friends used to powerboat in the chain of lakes in Antioch area.

As a former western suburbs guy...welcome!
I'm assuming your referring to Lake Michigan? I'd love to get out on Lake Michigan but assumed an 11' boat would be too small to go out there. Could I go out on Lake Michigan on my boat? I'm assuming from reading I've done I'd first need to get a radio and some lights to be allowed out? Also, my sailing experience is basically 2 hours on a hobiecat lol so probably have a bit of learning to do first but I'd love to get out on Lake Michigan if that's a possibility.

Chainolakes was one of the first places I was thinking but every report I've seen online from people with sailboats basically says "did that, way too many drunken powerboaters zipping around, never again." So that had kind of turned me off to that idea.

For starters I was hoping to find some smaller maybe less crowded forest preserve lakes that allow sailing

For now still reading some stickys and trying to learn but hope to learn alot from you guys. Thanks.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome