SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Head
Thread: Replacing Head
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 10-06-2007
Stenn
Newport Lover

Question Using Lagbolts to replace head

KeelHaulin, I don't understand your response.

The lag bolts I'm talking about are like giant wood screws with a hex head on top that tights down onto the base of the new toilet and just digs into the fiberglass with those big "wood screw" threads....how would the pointed, "wood screw" ends that are going down into the fiberglass form or cause a seal in the underside of the pedestal, that would prevent any fluids from draining out of the core? And there didn't seem to be any concern for your point by Newport/Capital Yachts...the original bolts were not sealed between the toilet base and the bottom of the pedestal, and no sleeves through that pedestal and no presence of any sealant to prevent what you're envisioning. Have you actually seen this rot on a Newport, or is this ideal engineering theory?

Also, though your point is well taken (although it didn't look to me like the pedestal was "cored"), if a skipper were ignoring and allowing Head leaks of that magnitude in the first place, they'd have more to worry about than just the pedestal rotting.

Stenn

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome