SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Navy ship collision. 10 "missing"
View Single Post
post #40 of Old 08-22-2017
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: Another Navy ship collision. 10 "missing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Jeff, it is not any new situation (2 GPS versions used) and the civilian GPS system is not distorted on purpose. It is merely not as accurate but the accuracy is in the range of 10' max. If you get within 20' of another vessel on purpose, you better have physical eye contact with it as well. And no, night is not an excuse for poor lookout. These folks have awesome night vision technology. Navy knows all these were clearly human error situations on their end - as the disciplinary pattern shows. Mind boggling human error situations.
I see your point.

I knew about the two versions of GPS from the time that GPS was first introduced. Originally the civilian version had variable accuracy built into it (something like 100 meters). At some point later on this variable accuracy was turned off. The article suggested that GPS signals can be spoofed and give false readings. I was merely conjecturing that perhaps with all of these nav. errors in one small area, the military GPS was giving false positioning.

But I see your point entirely. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome