SailNet Community - View Single Post - Custom Built On-board PC / Boatputer Advice
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 09-28-2017
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Custom Built On-board PC / Boatputer Advice

Most laptops seem to run on 18volts dc. I'm not sure about desk tops, though I'm sure they also run on dc power after the power supply.
We've been running our computers directly off the vessel's 12 volt dc system, using a 'converter' (not an inverter) that takes the 12 vdc up to the requisite 18 vdc, without any problems at all. However, if you are using your computer professionally for many hours a day, solar might not be enough to keep up with your consumption, so a small generator may be a necessary back up.
For a laptop you can find the proper (auto) converters quite easily, priced from a dozen dollars to about $75.00. I have had quality issues with the lower end models. For a desk top unit there are plenty of commercial converters (not built specifically for computers) available and most will give you several voltage options.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome