SailNet Community - View Single Post - Custom Built On-board PC / Boatputer Advice
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 09-28-2017
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Custom Built On-board PC / Boatputer Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplemale View Post
And I'm not 100% sure how busy my new full time cruising life is going to be with just taking it all in. Even so... I have some apps I've written which are going to partially support the sailing budget. I have to continue supporting those when it comes up.
Trust me, unless you are buying a million dollar gold plater and have the big bucks rolling in every month, you are probably going to be plenty busy learning the skills it takes to keep a family cruising boat going. Incompetence is the watchword for the majority of the yacht/boat maintenance and repair people, and if you can afford the good ones (once you have found them), you still have to get slotted into their busy schedule.
The sailing is the easy part. Even the navigating, anchoring and docking are kindergarten level education nowadays. If you are anything like most of us out here, you'll be a diesel engine mechanic, electrician, plumber, rigger, fiberglass/steel/alloy technician and possibly a refrigeration/A/C technician in a few short years. Then there's the pumps; bilge, fresh water, toilet, sewage, engine sea water cooling, engine fresh water cooling, generator sea water cooling, generator fresh water cooling, deck wash down, sea water supply and high pressure if you have a watermaker. Whoda thunk there were so many pumps in the life of a modern cruiser? They all need maintenance.
So anyway, un-busy? One can only hope. lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 09-29-2017 at 09:44 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome