SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing video bloggers getting a bit too dramatic?
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 10-07-2017
mbianka

Re: Sailing video bloggers getting a bit too dramatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Wicked Salty? I just happened to see the tease vid last night. I stopped watching their stuff, after their Bahamas cruise, but that does get one's attention. Nevertheless, I was annoyed that it was just a tease that tried to sell a t-shirt and promise details in the future. They discovered Patreon, et al, near the end of their cruise and it seems to be a needle in the arm now.

Those kids were not the most knowledgeable sailors, but I thought that was fine, as they were very young and on a huge learning adventure. I'm not sure they spend enough time becoming knowledgeable. We'll see what happened, which perhaps could have happened to any of us. I certainly don't wish it on them.
Minnewaska:
I agree. I always gave Wicked Salty some slack as they learned the lessons of newbies which I think we can all relate too. After not following them for awhile I just checked into their channel again and was a little disappointed in them hawking their T shirts following their boats sinking. Having ones boat sink could happen to anyone of us. When I see it happen to others it always reminds me that it is sometimes the simple things that can sink a boat. Sometimes it's only a minute of forgetfulness. A valve not closed, a clamp not tightened etc... I contrasted their plight with the experienced Ocean sailor Eric Forsyth earlier this summer
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ERIC FORSYTH: An Inexplicable Attraction
Who was just days away from starting another circum navigation of the north Atlantic. When a hose slipped off a head fitting on his boat Fiona. The boat sank at the slip and he and his friends went right to work and had things back to normal in about two weeks. Last I saw he had just left the Azores heading for Spain with the boat. His sunk boat did not stop him from making the cruise. He certainly did not stop to design and sell limited edition T-Shirts.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome