SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing video bloggers getting a bit too dramatic?
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 10-07-2017
Minnewaska

Re: Sailing video bloggers getting a bit too dramatic?

I make the comment to many 20 something's that they should drop the big city rent and move aboard a small boat. I'm half hearted about it, because most have never sailed. I'm really just channeling what I wish I had done at their age.

100% says something to the effect that they would never live in a house that could sink. It seems to be instinctive that one would go to any legnth to prevent this. Wouldn't it be obvious that one never leaves a single seacock open, when you leave your boat at a mooring, at least for any length of time?

I don't want to be harsh, nor bring the wrath of Poseidon upon my apparent hubris. Things can certainly break, despite ones best efforts. We've certainly all made a mistake and forgotten one, which only by luck or good fortune did we not find ourselves in the same place. I haven't heard exactly what happened.

I leave my air conditioning intakes open at the slip, although, I am on shore power and have two pumps and an alarm. Still, I seriously worry.

I have no malice toward these kids. I hope they recover. It may have been unavoidable, we'll see. If they were in my marina, I'm sure I would help them. I'm not buying a t-shirt only because I'm afraid they are learning to get through life that way and it isn't likely to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome