SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat without a mast
View Single Post
post #86 of Old 10-13-2017
neeqness

Re: Sailboat without a mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerline View Post
as the owner of many different boats throughout my life, I can shed some reasonable light on this.

its really not a worry for those that want to remove the mast from a sailboat and use the hull as a cruiser only... there definitley are pros and cons, but for the most part, thru this entire thread it has been about how rolly the sailboat would be in a seaway without the mast, and, yes it is a fact.... but not so much that it is unbearable like so many "swear" it is.
these people have obviously never been aboard a powerboat in a choppy seaway....
my point is, they are comparing a sailboat without a mast to a sailboat WITH a mast, so yes, they are correct. but when comparing the mastless sailboat to a powerboat, the sailboat is more stable.... a 30' powerboat bobs like a cork, but can sink like a rock when inverted... at least the mastless sailboat will return upright.

as for trawlers, they CAN ride better because some of them DO have a shallow, but weighted keel... and all of them are designed to be as stable as possible, but for a man on a budget as most who would consider doing this is, a trawler is out of the budget.

and it IS true that a sailboat is quite a bit more fuel efficient than an equivalent powerboat.... and boats in the 28 to 32ft range, all have about the same storage space available... when they start getting bigger, the powerboats do begin to have larger spaces to store stuff.

for those that think one could by an old powerboat and put a smaller engine in it to gain the fuel economy... this is not very well thought out statement.
powerboat hulls do NOT slip thru the water as easily as a sailing hull does... and by the time one gets done repowering/modifying the powerboat hull in an attempt to make it as fuel efficient as the sail hull, the sail hull will can be thousands of miles away, with money still in the kitty.....

I am also a firm believer that all things being equal between a smaller "budget" sailboat and the traditional style "budget" powerboat, a sailboat is a more comfortable home for long term cruising....
And, if I was out somewhere in the ocean broke down, where help may be days or weeks away, I would much rather be in a mastless sailboat, than I would in a traditional powerboat... because during a storm, it is safer even if you only take a minimal amount of care.

trawlers are not included in this assessment because I believe that anyone considering doing this is working on a tight budget...

even if it does go against the grain of what most people want to believe, it can be a very economical way to go boating... but one should consider the reasonable pros and cons, not the unreasonable ones....
+1

Was about to say pretty much the same thing but you beat me to it. Although it may seem impractical and maybe even backwards to the typical sailor, to someone on a budget and willing to think out of the box, this can work quite well provided you are aware of the pros and cons.

For more practicality though, I would recommend using it as a motorsailor if at all possible. Motoring 100% of the time means either large tanks of gas and/or making more frequent stops to refuel. As a motorsailer you could significantly increase your range and save some money overall by keeping the rig.

If the issue is not wanting to learn the intricacies of sailing but still wanting to go this route, you may want to research which sailboats would be most accommodating for what you want to accomplish and in the manner you wish to accomplish it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Last edited by neeqness; 10-13-2017 at 03:35 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome