SailNet Community - View Single Post - Large Blister on Oday 31 Rudder
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 10-23-2017 Thread Starter
SailNoFo

Re: Large Blister on Oday 31 Rudder

Again, thank you all for your comments. I went out to the yard this weekend to discover that the blisters have disappeared (which I gather translates to the blisters were in the paint* rather than the laminate). I will go out again in the next couple of weeks** to drill hole in the bottom of the rudder and measure amount of water that comes out. Is there a proper technique for drilling a hole in the rudder? I'm planning to use 1/4" drill at the lowest part of rudder going in from bottom (rather than side). I don't know the construction of the rudders but presumably I won't hit a water pipe/electrical line (or equivalent) doing that. (?)

The surveyor tapped around the rudder quite a bit during the survey. He told me about a dead spot but I gather he concluded it shouldn't be a deal breaker (or if he did, I wasn't listening).

* I would not have imagined that paint could hold that amount of water. Did this blister exist while the boat was in the water (or does it appear only when the boat is pulled)?
** I planned to drill the rudder when I was out this last weekend but putting the cover on (first time) took a little more time than I expected.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome