SailNet Community - View Single Post - Large Blister on Oday 31 Rudder
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 10-24-2017
eherlihy
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Large Blister on Oday 31 Rudder

I have about 10-feet of 3/8" OD clear vinyl tube from the local big box store (about $3). I am not 100% sure of the length, but you could simply measure from the cockpit to the bottom of the rudder, multiply that by 2, and then add the length necessary to go from the rudder post to the cockpit coaming. Add a couple of more feet if unsure.

I feed/drop the tube all the way to the bottom of the rudder post, and over the coaming, and toward the ground. While standing on the ground I apply a vacuum to the end (I have also used the faucet to push water through the hose, and into the rudder) to get the siphon started. Then I wash out my mouth with clear water (not necessary if I used the faucet).

In the past, I have drained over a gallon.

I did not bother to siphon the rudder post out this year (I may still change my mind), as I noticed that the rudder was full of antifreeze.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-24-2017 at 10:46 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome