SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rimas is alive and made it to guam
View Single Post
post #28 of Old 10-25-2017
Sal Paradise
Captain Obvious

Re: Rimas is alive and made it to guam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Although, he always seems to end up where civilized rescue/tow is available. I'm calling BS on the Rimas thing. I think he's scamming folks, at least to some degree.
If it is a scam to drift on a derelict boat eating crackers and pickled beets for the amusement of others - its not a great one.

If I had to guess, I'd say its a combination of he's is caught up in his little bit of fame as a guy sailing the world and he's hoping to go out in a blaze of glory rather than in a hospital bed.

He isn't totally crazy because on some level he obviously knows he isn't going to sail anywhere because he brings enough food and water for 4 months. He gets a kick out of TV interviews and facebook followers. They are the ones sponsoring this nonsense.

I'd like to see him quit, but from his perspective, what would he do? Languish in a run down medicare nursing home where people crap their pants every day? Maybe this is a type of sailing suicide? If so, then I see the logic.

One thing we can probably all agree on is - the hell with the nursing home! I'd probably rather his way. Or go skydiving and just forget to pull the chute.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome