SailNet Community - View Single Post - Towing and being towed
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 11-05-2017
chip
Fortuitous

Re: Towing and being towed

I don't know anything about ocean or long-distance towing, but I had to get towed once for about 3 hours on the inside and didn't enjoy it very much. I was in my Catalina 22. The engine quit, and I had to go ~20 miles through a narrow channel with 20kts of wind on the nose. The first tow boat's engine also died before he could hook up with us, and he drifted off the visible horizon. The second boat was a big (for here) diesel inboard with elaborate towing rig. They threw us a bridal with two attachment points, which I connected to the two bow cleats. They then proceeded to tow us at 7 or 8 knots into the wind and waves, which the boat didn't like doing. We tried to lash the tiller and get out of the incessant spray, but we were still swinging a lot, and I wound up hand steering to keep us centered in the tow boat's wake. They knew what they were doing and were in constant communication over VHF and hand signals, extending and shortening the line to try to get us to ride smoothly. They got us there in one piece, but I couldn't imagine trying to do it for hundreds of miles in ocean swell several knots above my hull speed.

https://sailingfortuitous.com/beach-haven-cruise-2012/

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chip; 11-05-2017 at 07:53 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome